Level Design Director [FAR CRY Project]
9 days ago
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time; Toronto, Ontario; Hybrid, flexible work environment
The daily life of a Level Design Director at Ubisoft Toronto
- Create the level design vision based on the creative direction and external sources (reference films, competitor games, design documents) by organizing mission briefings and paying special attention to the quality of the data integration into the engine;
- Set out the game’s progress (rational level design) in collaboration with the game designer by ensuring that, once established, the steps are clearly communicated to the player through the story, missions and tutorials;
- Communicate level design expectations to the team in terms of quality and content through documents that describe the gameplay experience and ensure that these expectations are properly understood;
- Validate the work carried out by the team to ensure that quality objectives are met and that the elements that are produced are in line with the level design vision for the game, especially through iterative reviews to test the player experience;
- Ensure that level design guidelines are followed by working in close collaboration with the project leads, directors and technical directors and the level design group;
- Assess game changes based on playtest, editorial or marketing feedback by suggesting solutions that are in line with the level design vision;
- Contribute to work planning as a content expert in collaboration with planning directors in an effort to find the balance between the quality that is expected and the ability to deliver the game (in terms of time, costs, resources, etc.);
- Carry out all other related tasks.
What You'll Bring
- College diploma in Game design or equivalent training.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in the video game industry or other relevant experience;
- Experience in field at all phases in the game production process;
- Experience as a Team lead or Project leader an asset.
- Ability to communicate a vision and share perspective
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to maintain good relations with different team members;
- Ability to manage innovation and showcase creativity;
- Maintain a client/user focus.
We know that skills and competencies show up in different forms and can be based on different experiences, that's why we strongly encourage you to apply even though you may not have all the requirements listed above.
What You’ll Get
- A hybrid, flexible work model
- Six weeks of vacation
- An enhanced parental leave program
- Comprehensive Total Rewards Package:
- Disability Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Extended medical insurance
- (Optional) RRSP contribution
- Relocation Assistance
- Bonus (If Applicable)
Life at Ubisoft
At Ubisoft Toronto, we look for people who are excited to create the future of games in one of the most diverse cities in the world. We believe that embracing our individuality helps us build stronger creative teams and develop better games for all players.
When you’re a member of our team, your professional development is a priority. You’ll have opportunities to be challenged, learn and grow in your role. Pushing the boundaries of what’s possible within game development while working with Ubisoft’s most powerful technologies – from game engines to performance capture and more. Annual performance reviews and salary increases will help you further your career and grow with our studio. We also offer hybrid remote work options, six weeks of vacation for all employees, an enhanced parental leave program, a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training and career development.
We celebrate the big and small moments together – with virtual events, get togethers, giveaways and more. In addition to our “right to disconnect” philosophy, the studio offers a variety of health and wellness initiatives including yoga, an on-site gym, flexible work hours, and other programs to create a better, sustainable work environment for our teams.
We encourage you to read our Code of Conduct prior to applying. It is our collective responsibility at Ubisoft Toronto to maintain a respectful and inclusive work environment, and be the best possible place to work and grow. Knowing and respecting our Code of Conduct’s principles and guidelines is key to achieving that goal.
At Ubisoft Toronto, we believe diversity is our studio’s biggest strength. We’re committed to creating an inclusive workplace that reflects the diversity of our player community, is inclusive and respectful of the individuality of our team and embodies our core values – trust, integrity, excellence and care.
We encourage applications from First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQIA+.
If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for?
Ubisoft Toronto is committed to providing accommodations for accessibility upon request.
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please
Ubisoft’s 21,000 team members, working across more than 30 countries around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their commitment and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies, and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
Ubisoft Toronto is one of the largest development studios within Ubisoft, employing talented developers from around the world. We create worlds and tell stories that grip you, inspire you and challenge you. Since opening in 2010, we have shipped innovative game projects on some of Ubisoft’s biggest brands: Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, For Honor and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell.
Most recently, we launched Far Cry 6, the most ambitious Far Cry game to date, featuring the talented Giancarlo Esposito as Anton Castillo. Our studio has also led the development of the newest game in the Watch Dogs franchise – Watch Dogs: Legion (2020), a stand out for its tech and design work, play as anyone gameplay in an open world, and rich and detailed rendition of a future London. Starlink: Battle for Atlas (2018) was Ubisoft Toronto’s first new IP, using technology that seamlessly blended physical and digital gameplay. Splinter Cell Blacklist was the first title released by Ubisoft Toronto in 2013. We have an exciting roadmap of projects for the future and can’t wait to share more details.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling industry-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft Toronto, we are always striving to get better, be better and do better – embracing innovative ideas, exploring new technologies, and working together courageously and collaboratively.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Ubisoft Toronto Inc.
224 Wallace Avenue. M6H 1V7
Location of position: Toronto, Ontario