11 days ago
Improbable believes in a future where new, virtual worlds will augment human experience and become as meaningful, lasting and rich as the physical world. We call this the Multiversal Self.
Our platform, SpatialOS, lets developers transcend the limits of regular computation, allowing swarms of servers running in the cloud to cooperate in order to simulate worlds far larger and more complex than any single server could.
At Improbable, you are surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them, and who compel you to improve yourself. We’re motivated by the fulfilment of solving hard problems to achieve something profound and transformative.
We are expanding our legal team and are looking for an exceptional lawyer to join us on the next stage of our journey as we work to provide practical and focused legal advice on a range of cutting-edge projects across our international business.
The role is a broad commercial one and will involve working on everything from supplier and customer contracts to the protection and licensing of Improbable’s intellectual property and the related product, privacy, marketing, employment, corporate and company secretarial issues that come from that.
This is an ideal opportunity for a junior commercial lawyer looking to branch out in-house into a more business-focused role and the successful candidate will play an important part in improving the responsiveness and efficiency of the legal team by helping to implement agile and scalable processes across the company.
Areas for impact
- You’ll negotiate and draft commercial contracts with the company’s customers, suppliers, and other partners across a variety of sectors from gaming to government
- You’ll help manage the company’s IP portfolio and work with external counsel in relation to securing patent, trademark and copyright filings
- You’ll offer practical and business-focused advice to our Engineering, Product and Marketing teams on matters relating to licensing, regulation, data security and privacy
- You’ll participate in the creation and development of corporate policies and guidance and help implement appropriate processes across the business for getting legal review and sign off
- You’ll assist in the administration of the company’s equity scheme and manage company secretarial matters across the UK business and our international offices
- You’ll work with our People and Talent teams to review employment contract documentation and manage any HR, tax and compliance issues
- You’ll provide support more senior members of the team in relation to corporate, finance and litigation matters
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following
- UK qualified lawyer (or equivalent) with a strong academic background
- 1-3 years PQE gained either in-house or in private practice
- Expertise in commercial law combined with a working knowledge of corporate, employment and intellectual property law
- Experience advising or working with high growth technology companies, and passion for emerging digital technologies
- Excellent analytical skills and business judgment combined with high quality written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and effectiveness managing complex projects and teams to demanding deadlines
- Can-do attitude, sense of humour and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply!
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.