Legal Counsel, Music and Entertainment
Los Angeles California United States
3 days ago
The Legal Team at Electronic Arts is seeking a lawyer to join us as Legal Counsel, Music and Entertainment.
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
At EA, we inspire the world to play. We are seeking an attorney with at least five (5) years of experience to counsel EA’s broadcast studio and music divisions, by providing legal advice, guidance and transactional support on a variety of issues and projects. This position will report to the Head of Legal for the Competitive Gaming Division of the Legal Department and is based in our Los Angeles office.
This position requires a media lawyer with strong music and business affairs experience and substantial knowledge of, and experience with, intellectual property law. The ideal candidate will have ample knowledge of, and experience with, music labels and publishers, music collective rights societies, performers, voice actors, and familiarity with issues arising in cross-jurisdictional commercial agreements.
Legal Counsel, Music and Entertainment will provide legal and strategic business advice on the commercial aspects of agreements and facilitate practical solutions to achieve business objectives while managing risk.
We are looking for candidates with demonstrable experience providing legal and business affairs support for broadcast and music studios. You will:
- advise legal and business partners generally on music acquisition, rights and risk;
- oversee legal and contract process for commissioned music, including contractual engagements of composers, other music-related vendors and EA’s outbound licensing program;
- advise and support the music business team on licensing music for games, marketing and events, including review and draft contract terms and advise on deal structure, scope of rights and risks;
- draft and maintain EA music contract templates;
- develop and maintain guidelines and playbooks on music rights clearance and use;
- consult with and advise other legal stakeholders on music related risk issues;
- draft and oversee a variety of production agreements including above-the-line (e.g., talent, producer, director, writer), and below-the-line (e.g., supporting cast, crew, vendors);
- support the development of a broadcast studio by drafting and reviewing equipment purchase agreements, leases, construction and build-out agreements and related services agreements;
- structure, draft and negotiate a wide range of production-related agreements, including location, signage, waivers and releases;
- consult with other legal stakeholders on IP and rights clearance issues;
- advise on talent services, including guild obligations for SAG/AFTRA, WGA, DGA, IATSE, etc.;
General / Cross-functional
- provide legal guidance and expertise regarding laws, regulations, and industry customs and practices pertaining to the development, production, distribution and other exploitation of television programs and motion pictures;
- structure, draft and negotiate agreements for the development, optioning, production, co-production, and licensing of programming (including rights acquisitions and clearances);
- draft, negotiate and review for execution a variety of agreements for alternative format content, such as animation, reality television, podcasts and video game streaming;
- provide commercial transactional support and guidance regarding the interpretation of various commercial agreements ; develop and maintain commercial templates;
- Work across the Legal Department to advise with legally-sound, efficient, practical and impactful work product on a wide-range of legal issues;
- Provide solutions to the business and resolve issues in creative and practical ways. Multi-task to work on a cross-functional team across wide range of topics and provide solutions, taking in consideration the business and legal context and needs. Evaluate and take appropriate business risks.
J.D. and member in good standing with the State Bar of California.
At least five (5) years of relevant experience, with both in-house and top-tier law firm experience preferred. Prior experience in music, entertainment and/or media broadcasting and production is preferred.
Familiarity with intellectual property licensing, music and content production, sponsorship, advertising, and marketing laws.
Strong drafting and negotiation skills along with excellent communication skills, business judgment and strategic thinking.
Comfortable and adept at supporting a fast-paced, evolving business, balancing legal risk and thinking creatively to propel the business forward and enable smart decisions.
Must be a team player, who approaches problem solving by seeking collaboration and solutions