Lead World Designer -
8 days ago
LEAD WORLD DESIGNER – MONTRÉAL
Who We Are
Hello! We’re Cloud Chamber: a collaborative team of inspired minds who create games together. We strive to make unique, entertaining, and thoughtful game experiences that engage the world.
We believe in the beauty and strength of diversity, in both the makeup of the studio and the nature of our thinking. Our focus on open communication and overall well-being allows each of us to strive for excellence in our work, and happiness in our lives.
Oh, almost forgot to mention that we’re currently making the next BioShock!! I know, right? Our passion and love for this iconic franchise is what brought us together. The thrill and responsibility of creating the next iteration of such a beloved game is what keeps us going.
What We Need
We are looking for a dedicated, passionate and personable Lead World Designer to help us build the next experience in the BioShock universe. As a Lead, you’ll be one of the standard-bearers for the creative vision of the project and be instrumental in determining how that vision translates into gameplay.
The Lead World Designer will lead a team in bringing a rich and dynamic game world to life. You’ll contribute to the design and structure of the world and own in detail how the world is populated with memorable experiences that complement the game’s main story. You’ll also drive forward standards, process, and workflows to fully unlock the creative power of your team and work extensively with the wider team on enacting the gameplay vision through playable content.
One of the most immediate challenges for the Leads team will be building a new studio up around them. It’s a tremendous opportunity to not only help define the game experience but also to contribute to the development of the team, all from the ground floor of development.
This project is a cross-studio development endeavor. There will be a big focus on communication and collaboration across sites. Occasional travel is likely, and a willingness to promote a positive culture between studios is essential.
Who We Think Will Be a Great Fit
You’ll care about building a harmonious, yet critically minded and quality-driven team of world designers and content implementers. You’ll lead them by example, and never hesitate to dive in, learn about, and perform the same tasks you’re asking of others. You’re also excited by new ideas, experimentation and in unlocking the creativity of the team.
You love sitting at the nexus of story, architecture and design. You love games that create a symbiosis between them, and you’re motivated by the idea of creating resonant, emotional experiences through gameplay. You care about building a richly interactive world that feels inhabited and genuine. You have a deep understanding of how to create a compelling systemic environment that players are hungry to explore. And you see the player as a partner or co-author, not a pawn.
And of course, we’re looking for someone who knows, loves, and plays games and cares deeply about pushing the medium forward.
- Shipped at least two AAA titles as a senior or lead level designer
- 7+ years professional experience in video game design
- Proficient with 3D world editing and scripting tools and workflows (we use UE4)
- Proven team management skills
What You Will Do
The Lead World Designer will coordinate cross-departmental development of the systemic game world. This includes providing editorial oversight on world layout, design of world content, and the detailed systems design of world population and event management.
- Partner with world architects and creative leadership to design and prototype the world layout.
- Work closely with World Associate Producer to plan sprint to sprint, milestone to milestone objectives for the world team.
- Work closely with the Creative Director to establish cohesion across the game as a whole.
- Plan and design architecture for world content systems, such as population and event management.
- Establish metrics and development workflows to unlock the creativity of the team.
- Lead development pods, define achievable milestone targets and champion technology and tools requirements.
- Collaborate across development sites in Novato and Montreal on a day to day basis.
- Mentor junior developers, set quality and delivery standards, and help the team to level up.
If all of this sounds as exciting to you as it is to us, we’d love to meet you. Join us in creating worlds that move people.