Lead Weapons Artist
13 days ago
Ascendant Studios is looking for a Senior Weapons Artist with expert knowledge of Zbrush, Maya, and Substance Painter to create highly detailed and efficient Weapon models. This position relies on both artistic excellence and technical skill to create content that is both polished and optimized for Runtime gameplay.
This position can be remote or in-person. Our new office, set in an old bank (yes, we kept the vault, aka our game room), has just opened after a 2 year renovation, steps away from shops, restaurants, and San Rafael’s vibrant downtown.
Founded by industry veterans, Ascendant Studios is a fully independent AAA game studio committed to making richly detailed, visceral, narrative-driven action games of the highest quality that players will never forget. We are currently working on our first title, an imaginative and original new IP, which we have complete ownership and creative control of.
What you'll do:
- Execute weapon models according to the Art director's vision
- Lead and assign the senior weapons artist in tasks as required
- Comprehend weapon art limitations and best practices with regard to modeling, model deformation, and Materials
- Ability to Create high quality and detailed weapon models with efficiency
- Strengthens work through collecting visual reference
- Create efficient game resolution models that work well with rigging.
- Creation of efficient UV’s and ID maps
- Collaborate with Art Director and Modeling Lead artist to execute any feedback delivered
- Contribute to setting and maintaining the weapon art quality bar at the studio
Who you are:
- 5+ years working experience in game development, modeling and texturing weapons using Zbrush, Maya, Substance Painter, Photoshop (or equivalent 3D and 2D programs)
- Experienced with AAA game production for weapons modeling and texturing
- Strengths in both Hard Surface modeling and Organic Zbrush sculpting (not just damage pass)
- Knowledge of efficient weapon building techniques
- Knowledge of building Modular Weapons systems
- Ability to translate concept to retain or enhance form, shape, and silhouette
- Passion for making and playing video games
- Good time management skills and excels at working within deadlines
- Good communication skills.
- Thrives in a creative and collaborative team environment
- Willingness to help teach, as well as review, and deliver feedback to outsourcing artists to achieve more production volume
- Experience working on a AAA First Person Shooter
- Passion for the fantasy Genre
More About Ascendant:
Located in beautiful San Rafael, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay area, Ascendant is founded by Bret Robbins, creative director and visionary behind the original Dead Space, as well as the campaigns for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Advanced Warfare, and WWII. The studio’s leadership has assembled a team of industry veterans with more than 600 combined years of BAFTA and Game of the Year award-winning experience on beloved franchises such as Telltale's The Walking Dead, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Borderlands, The Wolf Among Us, Mafia, Tomb Raider, Gears of War, Metal Gear Solid, The Elder Scrolls, Call of Duty, Dead Space and Bioshock.
At Ascendant, everyone on our dispersed, 90+ person team is encouraged to contribute ideas to our new IP. We value creativity, inclusivity, equality, collaboration and professionalism, and we are fostering a fun, mature and ego-less studio culture built on a foundation of respect and an earnest top-down belief in a healthy work/life balance.
We believe that teams with varied backgrounds and life experiences make better games. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of age, disability status, gender expression or identity, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, race, religion, veteran status, or any other category protected by law.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.