Lead Village Designer - Unannounced Survival Project
12 days ago
Team Name:Unannounced Project
Job Title:Lead Village Designer - Unannounced Survival Project
We Want You
A new world and a new journey await you. It is a world different from any other Blizzard has created. If you’re a passionate game developer, and, well, a good human being, then we’d love to talk to you. We have a new AAA survival game in the works, set in a new IP for PC/Console. It’s going to be amazing, and we’d love to bring you along for the ride.
Together, we’ll build something big, bold, and beautiful.
As the Lead Village Designer, you will be the vision holder and owner of many of the best-in-class collaborative social experiences on Blizzard’s upcoming survival game. You will drive accountability for these back-of-the-box features, ensuring it feels amazing to build things together with other players, that the growth of shared social spaces is aspirational and satisfying, and that the result of what players build together is a beautiful reflection of their accomplishments.
This role is anticipated to be a hybrid work position, with some work on-site and some work from home. The home studio for this role is Irvine, CA.
What you bring to the table:
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Building and executing a vision for collaborative social play within shared village spaces that is clear, satisfying, aspirational, and beautiful.
- Putting deep, deliberate thought into how players gradually build trust with each other, and building complementary systems of expression, shared accomplishment, generosity, tension, communication, and humor to allow for rich bonding experiences over time.
- Driving multiple cross-disciplinary working groups with clear goals, holding implementation of complex systems accountable to clear vision with kindness and candor.
- Championing the development of pipelines so that we can deliver compelling content to players frequently and at a high-quality bar while protecting the work-life balance of the teams delivering that content through both process and technology.
- Advocating for the player, ensuring each of our intended audiences is well accounted for with satisfying choices, that actions they take within the village are simple and straightforward while providing a toolset rich with choice, progression, and expressiveness.
- 8+ years of experience in a system design or gameplay design role, or equivalent in work/education experience.
- 1+ years of experience as a people manager
- Experience pitching design concepts in a clear, detailed manner
- Experience guiding cross-discipline teams in feature development
- Experience with AAA game engines such as Unreal, Unity, CryEngine, or Source
- Embracing Blizzard's core value of "Every voice matters," creating a safe space for collaboration, communication, and creativity across all subject areas and departments
- A background in math, combat design, content design, live ops, or tools development
- Strong documentation philosophies and strategies to evangelize your designs
- Playing a variety of video game genres and titles.
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to email@example.com. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
At Blizzard Entertainment, we pour our hearts and souls into everything we create. Best known for iconic video game universes including Warcraft, Overwatch, Diablo, and StarCraft, we’ve been creating genre-defining games for millions of players around the world for more than 30 years. We’re on a quest: bring our dreams to life and craft the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Hard work, iteration, and polish go into the Blizzard “secret recipe,” but the most important ingredients come from talented people who share our vision. If that sounds like you, join us.
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, among other characteristics.
We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered! Subject to eligibility requirements, the Company offers comprehensive benefits including:
- Medical, dental, vision, health savings account or health reimbursement account, healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance, disability insurance;
- 401(k) with Company match, tuition reimbursement, charitable donation matching;
- Paid holidays and vacation, paid sick time, floating holidays, compassion and bereavement leaves, parental leave;
- Mental health & wellbeing programs, fitness programs, free and discounted games, and a variety of other voluntary benefit programs like supplemental life & disability, legal service, ID protection, rental insurance, and others;
- If the Company requires that you move geographic locations for the job, then you may also be eligible for relocation assistance.
Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company. You can learn more by visiting https://www.benefitsforeveryworld.com/ .In the U.S., the standard base pay range for this role is $97,200.00 - $179,900.00 Annual. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. Actual amounts will vary depending on experience, performance and location. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.