Lead Unreal Engine C++ Programmer
16 days ago
In this position you will be managing and coordinating the C++ Programmers at Epoch Games, as well as assisting with interviewing new potential Programmers. You will be working alongside our Operations Manager/Producer (who handles daily operations), our Assistant Lead Programmer (currently managing our Programmers) and our Coding Team (made up of Unreal Engine C++ Programmers, who also work with Blueprint Scripting). You must be able to spare a fair amount of hours to be online to communicate with the Programming Team on a regular basis. Keep in mind that The Lays of Althas: Sundered Order (LoA:SO) is being developed in Epic Game’s Unreal Engine 4 (UE4); strong knowledge of C++, and how C++ code interacts with UE4, is required .
The ability to communicate and organize other Programmers is another key skill required in this position. It is key to a smooth and efficient pipeline, you must be able to communicate clearly and effectively with other team-members outside of the department, such as our Artists, Animators, Riggers, Blueprint Scripters, Level Designers and Writers. We are an English-speaking team, so English fluency is a must.
Other duties include: attending Slack meetings (Slack is an instant messaging we communicate with), reporting the progress of the Programming team on a weekly basis and following team policies.
Minimum Skill Requirements:
- C++ programming experience
- Unreal Engine 4 experience, and how C++ code interacts with it
- Providing clear and legible code
- The ability to review other C++ Programmers' code
- Managing and organizing other Programmers, and a fair amount of spare-time in order to manage and communicate with them.
- Online communication, team-collaboration skills, and English fluency
- A passion for coding and a dedication to creating AAA quality games
Recommended Skill Requirements:
- Git Experience
- Previous Leadership and Management Experience
- Blueprint scripting experience in Unreal Engine; we have a Lead Blueprint Scripter who handles managing and reviewing Blueprint scripts.
- At least 1 Unreal Engine project (using C++ code) prepared to show prior to the interview. If none, we can provide an assignment at the interview.
- Unreal Engine 4 ( https://www.unrealengine.com/register )
- Visual Studio Community Edition ( https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/ ) with Unreal Engine packages
All of your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Epoch Games is a volunteer-based, all-online, global game development team. We have no centrally-located headquarters and are unincorporated at this time. The founding members were modders developing the total conversion Middle Earth Roleplaying Project (MERP) mod for the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim:
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Currently Epoch Games is developing The Lays of Althas: Sundered Order (LoA:SO). LoA:SO is an in-development indie open-world RPG set in an original fantasy world. The game is being developed using Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4 (UE4):
For more information about the game, please check out our IndieDb page:
NOTE: Although Epoch Games does have a formal office at the listed address, we have a fully-online team at this time. Communication is mostly done via Slack (an instant messaging application) and Trello (an online project collaboration tool).