Lead UI Programmer
13 days ago
To our wonderful friends and followers around the world, Jagex is not pausing its search for the most talented people to join its ranks. We’re a successful, robust and growing business, after all.
In light of the current situation concerning coronavirus, we have already made changes to the way we recruit, and of course are mindful of following all necessary processes to ensure the safety of our staff and anyone we might come into contact with.
Jagex has switched to working almost entirely remotely, and in line with that our recruitment and selection process has moved to an entirely remote one with video calls being the preferred method of interview.
Our hiring managers are engaged, we are well-prepared and we sincerely look forward to talking to you soon. Our team of expert recruiters will be in touch with you to talk you through the process and changes and what to expect.
So, don’t delay, get that application in today!
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
Jagex is looking for a Lead UI Programmer to help us undertake the exciting challenge of building a brand new, AAA massively multiplayer online role-playing game.
Home to the iconic MMORPG RuneScape and its extended family of adventurous titles, Jagex is a leading games studio that places our players at the heart of everything we do, connecting and inspiring people through play.
We’ve welcomed over 280 million players to RuneScape’s world of enthralling fantasy and, together with our team of passionate game creators, our community helps to shape how our games evolve. From casting votes on future game content, to interacting with the studio teams in live streams and in chat, we also join together in person at our celebrated fan convention, RuneFest. Together with our players, we’re united as one Jagex tribe.
This is a fantastic opportunity to be instrumental in shaping the future of MMORPGs from the ground-up, at the forefront of Unreal Engine 4 & 5 development. You will be responsible for building and leading a team of UI programmers, who work collaboratively with other disciplines to deliver a world-class AAA UI experience across multiple platforms.
- Game-focused, driven by a curiosity to understand why you're solving a problem, empowering you to find the right solution.
- Motivated by delivering value, driving you to focus on the core of a problem and iterating to produce great results.
- Excited by the opportunity to be a part of a collaborative, cross-functional team, helping to craft incredible player experiences.
- Build and lead a world-class team of UI programmers through effective hiring, mentoring, coaching, feedback and sponsorship.
- Provide technical direction and best practices for UI systems, architecture and pipelines, as well as UI-related systems such as localisation and accessibility features.
- Cultivate a collaborative team culture that works alongside art, design and other engineering disciplines to set a high and achievable standard of player experience and visual quality.
- Identify, track and maintain UI technical and performance requirements across multiple platforms.
- Lead R&D endeavors on new and emerging UI-related technologies to aid with prototyping and problem solving.
- Professional experience setting technical direction and best practices for UI on at least one shipped commercial project.
- Professional experience building and leading effective UI programming teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Professional experience with Unreal Engine 4 and Unreal Motion Graphics (UMG) development.
- Professional experience setting and maintaining targets for optimisation and performance budgets within UI.
Even better if you have:
- Experience with supporting and developing player accessibility requirements.
- Experience with mobile and console development.
- Experience working on MMO game(s).
- Experience with common UI content development tools (Adobe suite, etc).
- Experience working with localisation pipelines covering Latin and Non-Latin languages.
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.