Lead UI Designer
15 days ago
Two simple questions:
- Are you a UI Designer experienced in creating cutting edge Video Game user interfaces?
- Do you thrive on leading brilliant teams to achieve project goals?
If you have answered ‘yes’ to both of these questions, read on my friend!
Rebellion is a leading developer and publisher of games, and is also one of Europe’s biggest independent studios operating across books, comics, TV and film. Our Sniper Elite series is renowned for its authentic stealth and sniping gameplay with more than 35 million players worldwide. The Zombie Army franchise is a spine-chilling zombie shooter, and the soon-to-be released Evil Genius 2 is a satirical spy-fi lair builder where YOU are the criminal mastermind!
And those are just the projects you know about – there are loads more!
We are looking for someone like you to become our awesome new Lead UI Designer and join our passionate and talented team, where we are building on the years of success that Rebellion has enjoyed.
Lead UI Designer:
Your role is to manage the implementation of intuitive, stylish and cutting-edge user interface experiences for the project. Your focus is to lead a team of UI Designers to implement UI art in line with your direction.
This role would suit someone with expert knowledge of the video game development process and ability to focus individuals and teams to achieve a specific outcome to drive performance.
The Rebellion UI Team are dedicated to creating intuitive, cutting edge user interfaces that enhance the user experience of our games.
- Lead a team of UI Designers with best practice people management techniques
- Proactively manage your team’s performance and professional development through performance review cycles giving constructive, actionable, relevant feedback
- Collaborate with Head of Art, Designers, Programmers and Producers to balance creative vision with production realities
- Work closely with a GUI Artist to design and implement high quality 2D front-end game interfaces and in-game display HUDs
- Streamline and implement logical menu flow and function of interfaces
- Work with Technical Artists and Tools Programmers to improve efficiency of workflows
- Create an efficient, functional and visually captivating UI, considering the design fundamentals and user experience
- Verify the quality of objects in the game, and make improvements where necessary to fit technical constraints and artistic direction.
- Be an active mentor and role model for the art team. Work to maintain morale and create an atmosphere of creativity and enthusiasm
We are actively recruiting for a diverse team and continue to develop a culture of growth and inclusion. Rebellion encourages innovation in all areas and we look forward to hearing how you can help us to be better. We would like to invite all demographics of culture, gender, ethnicity, neuro-diversity and beyond because we believe a representative team makes better games and provides a better working life.
- Knowledge of Photoshop or other 2D packages
- Expert knowledge of visual scripting
- Able to implement UI design in our game engine
- Expert knowledge of modern user interface design principles, and game navigation
- Expert knowledge of GUI design and creation of graphic elements and animations
- Expert graphic design skills including layout, typography, font formats and colour
- Expert knowledge of the video game development process
- Expert knowledge of production pipelines
- Extensive knowledge of best practice people management
- Broad business knowledge of best practice people management
- Able to focus individuals and teams to achieve a specific outcome to drive performance
- Able to apply an understanding of the games industry to improve effectiveness of teams and projects
- Able to develop resolutions to unusually challenging problems and mentor individuals and teams to solve problems creatively
- Able to evaluate or judge the best course of action
- Able to complete work with high level of autonomy
- Able to respond and adapt to changing circumstances to get the best results in a climate of ambiguity
- Able to plan and prioritise work. Balancing resources, skills, priorities and timescales to achieve objectives
- Able to give and gather information to effectively communicate information and exert influence. Whilst building long-term, trusting relationships with a wide range of people and building trust within multiple teams
- Holiday: 26 holiday days annually, increasing with service to 31 days, plus national public holidays
- Private Medical Insurance: Our PMI scheme offers comprehensive cover to access private medical treatment, taking the stress and strain out of waiting for treatments via the NHS
- Pension Contribution: Tax efficient salary sacrifice contributory pension scheme where Rebellion matches 4% of salary, plus 10% of any contribution you make
- Healthcare Cash Plan: Cash-back on treatment costs, from flu jabs to chiropractors
- Dental & Vision: Cash-back on routine or emergency costs, free eye tests
- Income Protection: Financial help if unable to work due to illness or injury
- Critical Illness: Financial help if diagnosed with critical illness
- Life Assurance: Financial security for your loved ones at a difficult time
- EAP: Wellbeing hub, including confidential telephone support and counselling
- Active Rewards: Earn discounts and other perks for physical activity, from trainers to cinema tickets
- Gym Membership: Discounts to over 3,000 participating UK gyms, pools & fitness events
- Loans: Interest free, tax-free loans
- Relocation: Assistance with relocation planning and costs
- Cycling Cycle Scheme: Save around 30% of the cost of a new bike and equipment though salary sacrifice tax & NI savings, spread repayments over 12 months
- Discounts: 50% off most 2000 AD merchandise, plus Active Rewards and more through health schemes, from high street retail to holidays
- Referral Bonus: Up to £2k bonus for internal staff referrals that lead to hires
- Flexible Hours: Flexible start and finish times
- Great Friendly Culture: Friendly, creative and relaxed working atmosphere, with sensibly managed projects and recognition of the importance of work-life balance (anti-crunch)
- Social & Charity Events: Annual Summer BBQ & Christmas Party, social groups such as photography and board games, charity events including football, go-karting and supporting Special Effect
- Digital Freebies: GDC Vault access, all Rebellion Steam titles, digital copies of 2000 AD and Rebellion Publishing comics, graphic novels and ebooks, physical game and film libraries