Lead UI Artist
5 days ago
As a Lead UI Artist at Ubi QC, you’ll be both a hands-on developer and a direction-providing mentor as you work with a team of UI artists to transform high-level gameplay ideas into functional UI designs. You’ll oversee and coordinate your team in building and integrating the visuals that smoothly guide players as they navigate a game.
Thanks to your understanding of the UI development process along with its (at times, many) technical and artistic constraints, you’re go-to person for advice and a point of contact for all of production. You’re able to step in to coach your team, find solutions to setbacks, and make use of space to create a seamless and intuitive gameplay experience for players to enjoy.
What you’ll do
- Partner with core team members to understand the game’s overall vision, art direction, and visual identity;
- Participate in prototyping to experiment with designs & explore opportunities;
- Support your team in creating interface assets (menus, animation, HUD, icons, buttons, world maps, etc.);
- Meet with your UI artists to assign tasks, establish priorities, discuss progress, provide feedback, etc;
- Find balance between artistic aspects and technical constraints & find solutions to fix buggy features;
- Integrate interface assets using our proprietary tools and engines, with the help of programmers;
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams (design, art, animation, etc.) to ensure consistency to achieve quality;
- Carry out the annual evaluations of your UI artists;
- Stay up to date on UI best practices, tools, and trends to refine your skills & refresh your knowledge;
- Participate in recruitment to build your UI team & foster their growth.
What you bring
- A degree in Digital Media, Computational Arts, Graphic Design, or equivalent (or related training);
- Visual design experience (or related experience) + leadership experience;
- Knowledge of design tools (Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects), game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal), game limitations, and prototyping tools *
- Solid understanding of usability principals & information architecture;
- A highly empathetic, creative, collaborative, and innovative spirit;
- Excellent mentorship, communication, organizational, time management, interpersonal, and presentation skills;
- Flexibility and a whole lot of resourcefulness;
- Motivation to reach out for feedback and adapt to it;
- A sharp eye for UX design + a passion for visual communication;
*Knowledge of project management software (e.g. Jira), 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max or Maya) + familiarity with scripting language and shader writing = very nice to have. Skills and knowledge come in many forms and can be based on relevant experience, so we strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don't meet all the requirements listed above.
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills;
- A portfolio of your best work, showcasing your UI skills (attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio).
Working at Ubisoft means
- A hybrid and flexible work mode, 6 weeks of vacation in your first year, an enriched parental leave, a Ubi gym directly in our offices, a complete group insurance program, access to complete Dialogue telemedicine services, an RRSP with a contribution from Ubisoft, an advantageous bonus program, concrete measures to ensure the right to disconnect, the option of working part-time and much more. Click here for all the details.
- Joining a team of 21,000 Ubisoft employees working across more than 40 locations around the world, are boundby a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come;
- Working for an equal opportunity employer, where diversity is a priority. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or health status.
With a team of more than 500 creative, passionate and innovative talents, Ubisoft Quebec continues to grow and expand. Founded in 2005, the Quebec City studio has carved out a place for itself among the leaders in the video game industry. Involved in several of Ubisoft's flagship franchises, it has acquired solid expertise, positioning it in the development of major AAA games. Involved in the Assassin's Creed franchise since 2010, the Quebec City team has assumed leadership of Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Immortals Fenyx Rising as well as the new crossover stories of Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Valhalla.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.