Lead Technical Designer
13 days ago
As a Lead Technical Designer, you manage a Technical Designer development team with technical and creative input, mentor and coach other technical designers, and act as a reference in evaluating gameplay features and best practices for production workflow within the team.
Gameplay is at the heart of everything we do, and this role involves architecting and implementing the gameplay systems, levels, and features that define the project.
Working closely with Design, Code, Art, Animation, Audio, and just about all other departments, you will be combining all the elements of the game into a complete experience.
As well as good technical scripting skills, you must have a passion for videogames, and an uncompromising eye for detail.
You will be joining the studio at an exciting time, as we scale up to develop an ambitious and ground-breaking game.
The role brings with it great scope for career growth and the satisfaction of making a significant personal contribution to a high-profile project.
We believe in iterative development, and you will need to be comfortable working in a fluid environment with competing demands.
We also believe the best games are made by diverse teams, and we welcome and encourage applicants of all backgrounds.
- Ensure delivery of high quality systems by the team.
- Prioritise, plan and manage the work of the team with minimal oversight.
- Help define the technical direction and develop innovative solutions.
- Communicate with leads of other departments to resolve cross-teams dependency issues.
- Identify and raise risks to upper management.
- Line manage members of the Technical Design team, and communicate clearly with other team members easily.
- Design, implement and take ownership of complex gameplay systems and features on the project.
- Implement missions, systems and activities using code-based scripting tools.
- Collaborate with other departments on developing extensive cross-discipline features.
- Tune and balance missions and game features.
- Collaborate with engineering to define and implement improvements to tools and workflows.
- Serve as a technical point of contact for various features and gameplay systems you develop.
- Deliver high-quality work on time.
- Mentor and guide other members of the Technical Design team.
- Exceptional communication skills, comfortable working across teams and mentoring staff.
- 5+ years experience as a Technical Designer in the game industry.
- Strong knowledge of a technical scripting language with Lua being preferred.
- Proven experience contributing to content in different game design areas.
- Previous experience designing and implementing complex gameplay systems.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of game design workflows.
- A keen eye for detail and a drive to create polished, high-quality work.
- Passion for videogames and a broad grasp of game types and systems.
- Strong teamwork and communication skills.
- Experience with visual scripting tools would be an advantage.
Build A Rocket Boy is developing EVERYWHERE; an experience with a breadth of unimaginable gameplay adventure.
We are a mix of industry leading veterans whose credits include some of the best selling and most loved games of all time. We’re a creative digital entertainment studio with an open and progressive methodology, dedicated to delivering games of the highest calibre possible.
If you want to feel comfortable, inspired, and appreciated in your work pursuits then come join us.
We have offices in Edinburgh and Budapest and are happy to sponsor your relocation to one of these cities. If you apply from outside of our hiring territory, we also consider WFH candidates from the UK, Hungary, France and the Netherlands in Europe; California and Washington states in the US; and from Québec in Canada.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.