This job might no longer be available.
Lead Technical Artist
Chicago IL US
6 months ago
Level Ex is a fast-growing game studio that creates video games for doctors.
Games feature thrilling medical cases built with the highest standards of game design and deliberate game mechanics. They also employ state-of-the-art graphics and physics technology, supported by the latest generation tech, allowing us to craft breathtaking virtual anatomy: custom-built GPU-based fluids, tissues, and soft-body systems that look and react like the real deal.
We attract top artists, engineers, and designers from prominent gaming franchises, like Mortal Kombat , League of Legends , Call of Duty , Walking Dead , and Star Wars . Our caliber of talent keeps us in the forefront of the industry: GDC ranked our game design talk #2 of 194 for sponsored sessions in 2019, and we earned 2nd place at SIGGRAPH Real-Time Live! 2019
, sharing the stage with Epic, Unity, Digital Domain, and others. Meet some of our incredible team here, and learn why you’ll enjoy our company and culture - Video: Why Join Level Ex
We’re now looking for a talented, deeply experienced Lead Technical Artist to lead, mentor, and grow our Technical Art team.
As the Lead Technical Artist you will be leading, mentoring, and growing the Technical Art team. You will be assisting in raising the visual bar and establishing best practices for Level Ex and our artists.
You will be constantly working with the dev team to create new features, tools, and pipelines to make sure we are working as efficiently and creatively as possible. You will have the opportunity to establish and grow a new genre in the video game industry.
What You’ll Be Doing with Us
- Creating and improving a suite of art pipeline and art creation tools to support new methods of high-end art content creation
- Working with Art, Engineering, and other departments to architect asset pipelines using the latest art and engine tools efficiently and cohesively
- Creating assets and tools that assist in improving shaders, materials, vfx, particle systems, lighting, animation systems, and other areas
- Collaborating with Engineering in creating custom templated solutions that increase the productivity across teams
- Investigating new tools, technology, and opportunities to increase art efficiency within Unity
- Writing scripts to automate multi-step art creation, capture, import, and export processes
- Managing and mentoring a growing team of Technical Artists
Who We Want To Meet
- 8+ years of experience working in game development or related industry
- 2+ years of management experience
- Proficient communication skills and capacity to be an ambassador between Art and Engineering
- Extensive experience building tools and scripts in Unity, including familiarity with the component model and tool-development functionality (2+ years minimum)
- Deep familiarity with industry art pipelines - understanding common problems and solutions for asset creation and flow in games built on a rapidly-moving tech stack
- Comfortable working in Autodesk Maya for both content and tool-creation, including proficiency in Python and MEL
- Experience with rigging, lighting, shading, and texturing, both in terms of content creation and in-engine configuration
- Experience with 3D math and computer graphic design
- Experience working as a Senior or Lead Artist
- Portfolio of tools and example effects/assets, along with an excellent design foundation and artistic ability
- Comfortable prototyping and researching new art technology and techniques
Bonus Points For
- Experience with mobile platforms
- Experience with ZBrush or Houdini
- Experience authoring shaders in HLSL, GLSL and/or Cg a major plus
How We Make You Happy
- Multiple health insurance plans with 100% company-paid premiums
- 401(k) with company-paid match
- Dental and vision insurance
- Pre-tax flex spending and commuter accounts
- Paid vacation, sick days and holidays
- Downtown Loop location convenient to public transportation, and plenty of nearby food options
- Unlimited cold brew and gourmet coffee, kombucha, Bevi sparkling water, and craft beer
- Full kitchen and food options including breakfast, and both healthy and comfort snacks
- Team after-hours events, like Board Game Night
Please send us your resume *including* a link to your portfolio or online work. We look forward to hearing from you and exploring the possibilities.
Level Ex is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
No Agencies or Recruiters, please.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job.