Lead Technical Artist
1 year ago
Cloud Imperium is looking for a talented and accomplished Lead Character Technical Artist to develop process, tools, and pipelines that will enable the creation of the persistent universe for Star Citizen.
- Oversee the development of art pipelines including proprietary tools, software plug-ins, and in game technology
- Cultivate other members of the team through the mentorship of skills, processes, and technical / artistic techniques
- Review and feedback on assets relating to the technical setup and processes used
- Be responsible for the internal tool suite within Maya and help shape and evolve art pipelines, including proprietary tools, software, plug-ins, and game technology
- Write and maintain technical documentation in terms of standards, pipelines and processes
- Make recommendations on how to improve both product quality and group productivity
- Drive Global Tech Art initiatives related to characters and skinned meshes
- Lead skinning and deformation technologies, tools and initiatives pertaining to them across the organization
- Collaborate with game designers, artists, and engineers to ensure that technical art vision is serving the project needs
- Identify potential and recurring workflow problems and collaborate with other developers to find viable solutions
- Work closely with the other leads within the character art group to realize implementation in game
- Monitor and improve asset quality and performance involving characters
- Other such duties and responsibilities assigned by Cloud Imperium reasonably consistent with employee’s skills and experience.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in game development serving in a technical art role
- Has managed direct reports in previous leadership roles
- Exemplary knowledge of 3DS Max/Maya and Photoshop
- Experience in other scripting and programming languages (Python, C++/C#, Mel and Max Script)
- Demonstrated initiative and relentless motivation to tackle complex technical challenges
- Self-motivated, good communication skills, and a great team-player
- Proven problem-solving skills, along with the ability to rapidly prototype
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Passion for computer games
- Mastery in one or more technical skills including FX/particle animation, lighting, rigging, tools scripting, or shader development
- Skilled in one or more related disciplines – concept, animation, visual effects, or modeling
- Understanding of UI/UX principles applied to tools development
- Experience in the film industry in a technical role
- Knowledge of Perforce
- Knowledge of complex rigging
This position is offered at our Los Angeles Studio by Cloud Imperium Games LLC.
If you feel you have something to offer this role, even if you don’t think you qualify for all the above, you should still apply – we are an inclusive employer and if you have potential, talent and a great work ethic, we want to hear from you.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options
CIG Diversity Statement: CIG is a global company, staunchly committed to cultivating a culture and workplace that celebrates all backgrounds, lifestyles, and perspectives. Together, we are creating a space where authentic recognition, appreciation, and understanding of the importance of diversity is fostered by everyone. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strive to build a team that represents all walks of life, and we want every employee to bring all the things that make them unique to the work environment. The universe is as vast and varied as the people in it, and it’s our differences that make it special.
We are aware of people receiving job offers that fraudulently allege to be from CIG. These types of fraud can be carried out through false websites, fake email addresses claiming to be from our company, or social media. We do not ask for your personal info like bank account numbers, identification numbers, etc. through social media or chat-based apps, nor do we request or send money for the purchase of business equipment.
If you suspect fraud, please report it to your local authorities, as well as reaching out to us at info[@]cloudimperiumgames.com with any information you may have.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.