Lead Technical Animator
1 month ago
At Skydance Interactive, we believe in pushing the boundaries of what is possible in interactive entertainment. Innovation in game design, technology and storytelling is the passion that drives our agile studio of dedicated and talented game creators. Collaboration across all disciplines is vital to our success and is at the core of the inclusive culture we strive to foster every day.
We empower our employees to take ownership of the features they develop and create their own solutions when challenges arise. As our studio grows, we want to bring even more risk-takers, innovators and diverse voices along for the ride as we continue to create the games that will defy convention and define the future of the medium.
Following the success of our first VR title Archangel , we elevated our ambition and tackled The Walking Dead universe in VR. The result was the 2020 genre-defining hit The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners . We are currently working on several highly anticipated VR games for emerging platforms that we can’t wait for you to play.
As Lead Technical Animator to a new Skydance Interactive VR project, you will play a crucial role in solving creature and character related challenges and help optimize the animation implementation pipeline. We are looking for someone with in-depth knowledge of Unreal Engine 5 and Blueprints. Working with Animators, Engineers, and Designers, you will ensure animations are brought to life in game, meeting all requirement needs from the Animation Director.
- Setup up and or assist in setting up Unreal Engine 5 assets; including physics, blueprints, skeletal meshes, etc.
- Work closely with animators to ensure proper workflow for implementation of animation assets.
- Work closely with engineers to ensure proper tuning and needs of a blueprint.
- Help support technical issues for animators in Maya or Unreal.
- Process and retarget motion capture data.
- Maintain and test functionality of Blueprints throughout the course of production.
- Assist with improving pipeline and engine tools, working with animation, engineering, and design leads.
- Create and maintain documentation necessary for animation and other departments to understand the functions involved in blueprints or other Unreal assets.
- Fix and solve bugs/issues with in game animations.
- Communicate needs to Animation and or Engineering, to fulfill requirements.
- 7+ years of game production experience having shipped a console game, with at least 1 shipped gaming title.
- In-depth knowledge of Unreal Engine and Blueprints.
- Experience working with Maya with familiarity of Mel and Python scripting.
- Understanding of all facets of animation including rigging.
- Background as an animator, having an aesthetic eye for in game results.
- Experience working with motion capture data.
- Understanding of physics simulation setup and implementation in Unreal and Maya.
- Receptive to feedback and able to work through an interactive process.
- Must be a self-motivated team member who takes ownership of their work.
- Working knowledge of C++
- Has worked on a VR project.
- Familiarity with multi-platform performance efficiency and optimization.
The salary range for this position in Los Angeles is $110,000 – $150,000. The salary offered may vary based on the candidate’s location, qualifications, experience and relevant expertise, among other factors. The range indicated is for base salary only and does not reflect the total compensation package, including bonus, benefits, etc.
We realize that skills and expertise can come from many different experiences and paths, and we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet all of the requirements as written in the job description.
Skydance is a diversified media company founded by David Ellison in 2010 to create high quality, event-level entertainment for global audiences. The Company brings to life stories of immersive worlds across its feature film, television, interactive, and animation divisions.
Skydance is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to building and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We welcome and consider applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy status, military/veteran status, disability, or any other protected category. Diversity in the workplace is not just a commitment, it is who we are and a reflection of what makes our world special.
Recruitment Fraud Alert
It has come to our attention that there may be fraudulent activity by individuals impersonating our Talent Acquisition team. Skydance will only contact you from an official “@skydance.com” email address. If you suspect that you are being contacted by an unauthorized person or believe that the correspondence you have received is suspicious, please do not click on any links or attachments in such emails and submit any questions or concerns to our information security team at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.