Lead Sound Designer
19 days ago
The Chinese Room has established a reputation as one of the most creative and exciting studios in the UK. We’re proud to be internationally recognised as pioneers of storytelling with a flair for creating atmospheric, rich and imaginative games.
As a Sumo Digital studio, The Chinese Room is built on passion, on finding amazing people and letting them shine. It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The Chinese Room is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to women, BAME, older people and those from working-class backgrounds.
The role @ The Chinese Room
We are seeking an experienced, talented Lead Sound Designer to join the team and help create incredible games!
The Chinese Room has carved out a reputation for world-class audio design with multiple nominations and wins for international awards including BAFTA, GDC Awards, Develop, TIGA, G.A.N.G., DICE, SXSW.
As a studio, we develop our own original games, as well as ‘TCR’ takes on select IP. Current projects are first-person action-adventure games for console and PC, and we’re looking for a world-class Lead Sound Designer to join the team.
What’s the role?
As the Lead Sound Designer, you are the focal point of the audio team, from both a creative and organizational point of view. Your primary aim is to ensure the highest quality across all aspects of the game’s audio is achieved. Reporting to the Audio Director, you will have a big hand in defining and executing the audio direction for the project, both creatively and technically, while establishing good workflow practices and building audio systems in Unreal Engine’s Blueprint. You also play a pivotal role in developing the skills and growth of members of the audio team.
Within this role you will:
- Set the quality bar for the audio team through creating & implementing world-class original audio
- Work with the Audio Director to define and maintain vision
- Organise regular reviews with the audio team, providing feedback and identifying opportunities for iteration
- Work closely with the production team to plan and schedule the audio team’s workload
- enter the audio team and embed best practice principles in their work
- Identify new audio pipelines, lead the optimisation and refinement of current audio pipelines
- Have audio at the forefront of everything you do, presenting audio interests within cross-discipline feature groups
To be successful you will have:
- Experience as a lead on at least 2 AA+ titles, or relevant/equivalent experience in a senior role
- Strong creative sound design skills
- High technical ability, including visual scripting such as UE4 Blueprint
- Advanced working knowledge of Wwise middleware
- Good knowledge of and working experience with field, studio and foley recording
- Strong understanding of dynamic mixing systems for runtime audio
- Experience with creating and mixing sound to picture
- Ability to mentor and lead team members
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Strong communication skills and ability to liaise with vendors
- Experience with sprint planning and reviewing
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Well organised and self-motivated approach to your workload
It would be an advantage if you have:
- Current gen console development/production
- Cockos Reaper
- Dialogue design & integration
- Music system design & integration (not composition)
What we offer:
. Defined Annual Bonus Scheme
. ULEV car scheme
. Monthly allowance to spend on enhancing benefits
. Salary Sacrifice Pension
. Flexible Working
. 21 days free-use holiday
+ your birthday off
+ 5 learning days including 1 volunteer day
+ a duvet day
+ Christmas shutdown from Christmas Eve to New Year
+ Bank Holidays
+ extra allowance accrued for longer service
. Free dental insurance
. Life Assurance 4x Salary
. Income Protection of 75% for 5 years
. Enhanced Mat/Paternity & Adoption pay
. Employee Assistance Programme:
. Help at Hand - Remote GP, Mental Health & Physio appointments
. Free financial & home buying support consultations
. Cycle to Work Scheme
. Payroll Giving Scheme
. Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
. Career Development Pathway
. Wrap Parties.
. Project Completion Awards
. Game/Creative Jams
. Big Family Events
. Studio social activities, e.g. running, board games, film, yoga, life drawing…
. Prism – Sumo’s employee diversity focus group
. Free fruit and drinks in our studios
. Employee Referral Bonus
More about The Chinese Room:
Our titles include the ground-breaking Dear Esther (2012), cult horror Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (2013), the VR fairy-tale So Let Us Melt (2017) the open-world adventure Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture (2015), a PlayStation 4 exclusive that won major awards across the world, and the multi award-winning Little Orpheus (2020). This included an amazing 10 BAFTA nominations and 3 BAFTA wins.
We bring our passion and commitment to creating exciting original games to a network of studios renowned for quality and expertise. Being part of the Sumo team enables us to expand and grow in ambition and confidence, taking our reputation for storytelling into new genres. Our most recently announced game, Little Orpheus, is an Apple Arcade exclusive and we’re working on other unannounced ‘AAA’ titles that will further establish our award-winning style and reputation.
We offer a superb benefits package including generous holidays and flexi-time. We care about our people, with an emphasis on the work/life balance and out of office events such as our legendary Sumo ‘Big Day Out’, plus epic Christmas parties and much more! Our regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - winning concepts can go on to commercial release, so far including Snake Pass and the upcoming Spyder for Apple Arcade.
The Chinese Room is located in Brighton in the south of England, home to an amazingly vibrant game development scene and a cultural hotspot with fantastic food, arts, music, shopping and sports. The studio is in the city centre, near the beach, and close to the South Downs National Park. Gatwick Airport is only half an hour away from train, and you can be in central London in just over an hour. It’s an easy place to love!
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We’re in the amazing position of building a brand-new team, and creating a studio culture that’s all about passion, respect, diversity, fun and togetherness. We’re looking for people that love what they do and love to share their enthusiasm with each other.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.