This job might no longer be available.
Lead Software Engineer
Irvine, CA, United States
6 months ago
The Battle.net & Online Products organization is home to 300+ superpowered engineers, program managers, and designers focused on the technology that powers Blizzard Entertainment’s games. Whether you’re playing one of our titles, chatting with friends, or just shopping online, B&OP ensures that our players are immersed in engaging, exciting, and secure experiences.
Blizzard Entertainment has an opening for a talented and enthusiastic Lead Software Server Engineer to join one of our Battle.net Game Services Aurora Feature teams.
The Game Services Group develops the software, services and infrastructure that keeps millions of players online simultaneously worldwide, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. When a player logs in, sends a friend request, a whisper, or a chat within one of our rich virtual worlds, Game Services powers these capabilities. When you use voice chat, check your profile statistics, or create a new social group, we are the Group that makes those things possible. From Overwatch to Hearthstone, StarCraft 2 to Diablo 3, World of Warcraft to Heroes, regardless of the game, time zone, or scale, Game Services is ready to answer the call with effectiveness and professionalism, acting as the central pillar to supercharge all player engagement.
- Lead a small and talented team to develop technology to facilitate the authoring of scalable, highly performant platform services
- Work with the Program Management staff and other engineering leads of the Game Services Group to prioritize tasks and track development progress within the Feature team
- Ensure that that the team adheres to established coding standards, development philosophies, and maintains efficient coding practices
- Coordinate with internal and external development teams, create relationships and assist with shared initiatives
- Lead the ongoing effort to improve and expand our Battle.net platform infrastructure, with the goal of achieving ever-increasing service availability and feature capability
- Perform research to acquire new knowledge necessary to perform assigned tasks and maintain a process of technological evolution
- Manage, support, and guide the careers of a varied workforce of software engineers on the team
- Serve as an active partner within the larger Game Services Leadership Group
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant work experience
- Ability to work within and foster a collaborative environment between local and remote development teams within a shared code base
- Exceptional communication skills
- Advanced understanding of C++
- Prior development work on distributed systems and client/server architectures
- Strong computer science fundamentals, including algorithms, data structures, and design patterns
- Experience with performance analysis and code optimization
- Experience with protocol and API design
- Database schema development experience (MySQL, Oracle, Cassandra, etc.)
- Self-motivated and able to break down complex tasks
- Previous technical leadership experience
- Previous experience collaborating with remote development teams
- Linux development experience (server applications, gdb debugging, etc.)
- Experience with cloud/virtualization/containerization technologies and infrastructure
- Experience supporting a live service.
- Enthusiastic about supporting a live service
- A passion for both video games, and technology