This job might no longer be available.
Lead Software Engineer (Model Engineering)
9 months ago
Your mission is to mentor and lead a team of software engineers, and support them in creating the models that will power the next generation of decision support technology. Our team works closely with our Applied Scientists to create these models and the tooling to support them. Our culture is friendly, relaxed and inclusive.
The primary responsibility of the team is to deliver robust, performant, scalable scientific models into production that run in simulation and sit at the heart of our core product offering. This means building data pipelines to generate accurate representations of real-world environments, and the algorithms for simulating their dynamics. We are not a Product Development team; we are a customer-facing, solution-focussed Rapid Application Development (RAD) team. We build robust, performant, scalable models that run in our complex, realistic simulations to support users’ decision-making processes and solve our customers’ problems.
Area of impact
- Making informed technical decisions for the team and guiding them towards best practices.
- Contributing improvements to team practices and processes to aid in the development of a high performing team.
- Productionising prototype models so that they are scalable, robust and performant.
- Developing and implementing algorithms which result in plausible modelling behaviour.
- Building pipelines to extract, synthesise and integrate data from various sources, making it available to simulation engines and user interfaces.
- Building tooling that enables model developers to do their work quicker and better.
- Measuring, tracking and improving performance of models so that we can reach new levels of speed and scale.
We would like to hear from you if you identify with the following
- You have clear leadership skills and inspire others to be better software engineers.
- You are familiar with the more advanced features of the Python language (e.g. decorators, built-in methods).
- You enjoy pair programming and collaboration and are passionate about sharing knowledge with and learning from others.
- You are naturally pragmatic, balancing fast-moving project requirements with quality and good practices.
- You are proactive and autonomous, able to identify the most impactful work among competing requirements.
- You think holistically about every aspect of software development, including testing, documentation, security and performance.
- You enjoy working closely with customers, exploring their problem space, understanding their requirements and building solutions to satisfy them.
- Current or recent UK security vetting clearance (SC) is advantageous but not mandatory.
Please note due to the nature of this role you will be expected to meet requirements associated with obtaining UK security vetting clearance.
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply.
Improbable is determined to foster an environment where people can do their best work and feel like they belong. We believe a healthy culture, strong values and contribution from a diverse range of individuals will help us to achieve success.
We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, gender, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.