Lead Software Engineer, Engine
23 days ago
Team Name:Unannounced Project
Job Title:Lead Software Engineer, Engine
Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a talented and passionate lead engine engineer to oversee engine development for an unannounced AAA project. An engine engineer at Blizzard embraces and fosters Blizzard’s core value of “Gameplay First” through collaboration with all game development disciplines to create streamlined development tools and technologies to realize the vision and requirements for their game title.
We are a team of passionate developers that highly value open-minded collaboration, direct feedback, and the eagerness to grab and drive game development to Blizzard quality. As a lead engine engineer, you will inspire and align the engine team around a technical vision for the engine department that enables best-in-class gameplay, art, and audio experiences. By directly managing a team of engineers and collaborating with project leadership, you will help define strategic initiatives and break down clear and achievable goals for the engine team. When particularly hard problems arise, you'll draw upon the team's collective creativity to define and execute upon a technical vision that meets the project's needs.
- Directly manage, evaluate, and mentor the engineering staff of the engine team.
- Act as the primary point of contact for cross-team engine development, partnering with a central-service shared game engine team to define and execute on project requirements.
- Define the project’s technical vision for the engine department, collaborating across a diverse cross-discipline team to ensure that the engine requirements for the project are clearly defined and met.
- Partner with the production staff and the rest of the leadership team for milestone planning and tracking development progress.
- Author, pitch, and maintain technical design documents that outline key project architectural decisions, milestones, and technical risks.
- Champion Blizzard’s core values.
- At least 5+ years of relevant experience on a AAA game project; shipped at least one AAA title.
- Must currently hold at least a senior engineering position.
- Three years’ experience in leading high performing engineering teams.
- Proven experience shipping games on multiple platforms such as PC, console, and mobile.
- Deep understanding of various modern rendering techniques, graphics hardware and API’s, and shader authoring.
- Advanced understanding of game content pipelines and tools.
- Strong proficiency in mathematics (linear algebra, trigonometry).
- Extensive experience and a passion for performance analysis and code optimization.
- Advanced knowledge of C++, both historical patterns as well as modern language features.
- Proven ability to grow, guide, inspire, and lead growing development/engineering teams.
- Excellent spoken and written communications skills.
- Extraordinary self-motivation and initiative.
- Extensive experience with video games, including action, FPS, and online titles.
- B.S. (or higher) degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Experience with Unity, Unreal, or other development engines.
Required Application Materials
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work/life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunities for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences ever. Join us!