Lead Software Engineer, Engine
12 days ago
Job Title:Lead Software Engineer, Engine
Lead Software Engineer, Engine
Soldiers, scientists, adventurers, oddities…engineers! We are the Overwatch team, passionate gamers at heart, and we’re looking for a new hero to help us make Overwatch 2 - the globe-spanning sequel to Blizzard Entertainment’s acclaimed team-based game.
We are seeking a talented, motivated, and experienced Lead Software Engineer who shares our values:
- We take responsibility for delivering our work.
- We collaborate constantly, helping each other to be successful.
- We continuously improve our knowledge, workflows and processes.
- We communicate openly, calling out issues, opportunities, and sharing feedback.
- We have integrity, maintain confidentiality, and share a sense of ownership in our success.
- We have passion for the game, our players, quality work, and technology.
This philosophy, along with the Blizzard values of “Gameplay First” and “Play Nice, Play Fair,” has made Overwatch one of Blizzard's most successful games, and it has forged a bond of trust with our worldwide player community that is extremely important to us.
In this role, you will collaborate closely with the technical director and other engineering leads to build a technically excellent engine across multiple platforms. As a leader you will inspire and guide some of the most talented and passionate engineers in the industry as your team builds that technology together.
Location – Irvine, CA preferred and Remote / Relocation available
- Partner with the technical director to develop the technical direction for low level systems across multiple PC and console platforms, which, depending on candidate experience, could include:
- Kernel abstractions
- I/O for resource loading and streaming
- High performance memory-management and tracking
- CPU & GPU performance tools
- Job-systems and threading abstractions
- Scene organization and culling
- Render submission
- Work with other leads and producers on the Overwatch team and across Blizzard to establish engine related tasks and schedules.
- Evaluate and upgrade the technical skills of engineers on the engine team.
- Serve as an active partner in the game team's leadership.
- Maintain effective relationships with key internal and industry partners
- Previous leadership experience or demonstrated leadership potential
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in AAA game development
- Passion for playing and making video games
- Strong C++ programming skills
- Strong mathematics skills, including proficiency with trigonometry, and linear algebra
- Deep understanding of engine performance, scalability, and maintainability
- Experience creating or extending reusable engine technology
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
Please note: If you feel you don’t meet all requirements but are equipped with most, we still encourage you to apply. We welcome the opportunity to open a dialog to be considered.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Previous experience working on first-person or other action-oriented games.
- Computer science or related degree
- Passion for technology
- Familiarity with Blizzard games