Lead Software Engineer - Backend
2 months ago
A Little Bit about Kwalee….
Kwalee is one of the world’s leading multiplatform game developers and publishers, with well over 900 million downloads worldwide for mobile hits such as Draw It, Teacher Simulator, Let’s Be Cops 3D, Airport Security and Makeover Studio 3D. We also have a growing PC and Console team of incredible pedigree that is on the hunt for great new titles to join TENS!, Eternal Hope, Die by the Blade and Scathe.
What’s In It For You?
Are You Up To The Challenge?
As the Lead Software Engineer - Backend you will write code that will run on 100s of servers thousands of times a second helping our games run smoothly, you will have to work out how to deal with massive amounts of data efficiently, train machines to crunch data and generally play around with the latest and greatest in tech.
You love to write efficient code and tackle hard puzzles, you like working with a committed team.
Your Team Mates
We're a bunch of tech whizzes who are at the backbone of everything the company does. We maintain the servers' health to an optimum level so that our millions of players can continue enjoying themselves with our games.
What Does The Job Actually Involve?
- Contributing to the design and architecture of our servers using Python with Flask deployed on AWS EC2 Servers.
- Building Lambda pipelines to process large amounts of data.
- Implementing server features to robustly support millions of mobile game players.
- You’ll be working with a worldwide multi cluster Couchbase and Elasticsearch database, but always looking for the next technology that makes sense.
- Interfacing with other teams on any server-related issues affecting them.
- Leading a team of developers both onsite and remotely, closely supported by our CTO.
Your Hard Skills
- A proven track record of writing high quality database and program code for servers with Python. We are considering different levels of experience (from several months to years).
- The ability to write quick scripts to accelerate manual tasks.
- Knowledge of NoSQL databases (Couchbase, MongoDB, Cassandra, Memcache,etc.) could be useful but it’s not mandatory.
- Knowledge of Unix, Linux or equivalent development environments
- Some experience in game development would be a plus, although it’s not necessary.
- Team leadership / management experience
Your Soft Skills
Kwalee has grown fast in recent years but we’re very much a family of colleagues. We welcome people of all ages, races, colours, beliefs, sexual orientations, genders and circumstancesm, and all we ask is that you collaborate, work hard, ask questions and have fun with your team and colleagues.
We don’t like egos or arrogance and we love playing games and celebrating success together. If that sounds like you, then please apply.
A Little More About Kwalee
Founded in 2011 by David Darling CBE, a key architect of the UK games industry who previously co-founded and led Codemasters, our team also includes legends such as Andrew Graham (creator of Micro Machines series) and Jason Falcus (programmer of classics including NBA Jam) alongside a growing and diverse team of global gaming experts.
Everyone contributes creatively to Kwalee’s success, with all employees eligible to pitch their own game ideas on Creative Wednesdays, and we’re proud to have built our success on this inclusive principle.
We have an amazing team of experts collaborating daily between our studios in Leamington Spa, Lisbon, Bangalore and Beijing, or on a remote basis from Turkey, Brazil, Cyprus, the Philippines and many more places around the world. We’ve recently acquired our first external studio, TicTales, which is based in France.
We have a truly global team making games for a global audience, and it’s paying off: - Kwalee has been voted the Best Large Studio and Best Leadership Team at the TIGA Awards (Independent Game Developers’ Association) and our games have been downloaded in every country on earth - including Antarctica!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.