This job might no longer be available.
Lead Software Developer - Rules Engine (Arena)
Wizards of the Coast
Renton, Washington, United States
5 months ago
For decades, Wizards of the Coast has connected people around the world through play and imagination, with core games that have defined their genres - Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons®. We want to offer more ways to connect and play as the company grows. And that’s where you come in.
If you’re the one who explains the rules in your board game group…
If you think about optimal path algorithms while going for a run…
If you like engineering, science, math, and golems…
We’d like to meet you.
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
We implement game mechanics and game-flow features for Magic: the Gathering Arena. In this role you’d be leading a team that collaborates frequently with game designers, front-end developers, and backend services to deliver a snappy and engaging digital experience with all the strategy of authentic Magic. Some problems you’d get to tackle include:
- Directly manages and supervises a team of software developers
- Designing workflows and tools that empower designers both on Arena and Magic R&D.
- Architecting contracts between the rules engine and the front-end client across multiple platforms.
- Improving card data and localization systems so content delivery is as automated as possible.
- Optimizing core rules to improve performance and consistency.
- Improving algorithms for predictive mana payment, turn passing, and targeting.
- Empowering the team to implement new game modes and formats.
DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS WIZARD
- Directly managing, supervising and growing a team of developers focused on gameplay content.
- Architecting, designing and assisting in implementation of Magic: The Gathering Arena’s Rules Engine.
- Consulting on and technically vetting feature requests for Arena.
- Expanding the scope of our natural language parser to understand new card text.
- Crafting tools to help your fellow developers, artists, designers, and pyromancers.
- Gathering metrics and making performance improvements to our rules engine.
- Investigating and fixing live bugs to support our game.
- Code reviewing, brainstorming, and helping our organization grow.
AM I QUALIFIED?
- 8+ years software design experience
- 5+ years working with C++ and/or Python
- 5+ years designing and implementing gameplay systems
- 1-3 years managing a software development team
- Shipped and supported at least 1 live service game
Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
- Has game development experience and is passionate about games.
- Revels in resolving technical problems.
- Wants to create and maintain positive team culture.
- Likes collaborating on feature implementation.
- Is interested in parsers, compilers, and linguistics.
- Enjoys digital card games and Magic: The Gathering.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or commensurate work experience.
- Office environment, able to work on computer or phone for long periods of time.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.