Lead Software Developer - Characters
9 days ago
We have an opening for a Lead Software Developer for our Character Rigging R&D team in London. With a focus on innovating and improving the speed of character interaction, deformation and animation data models.We are looking for an experienced engineer keen to work in a high-profile teamon all fronts; your peers, the reach and impact of the work, and the importance of the outcome to internal and external clients.
The ideal candidate is a technical expert, able to contribute insight and experience while balancing their contributions with those of their peers and responding to the vision of our internal clients.
It's important to have or be willing to develop, a delivery-driven mind-set coupled with the ability to move with agility between streams in stages ranging from prototype to maintenance.
As a Lead engineer you will be expected to have, and granted to exercise, a high degree of autonomy and to make significant contributions to the design of components and affect the global roadmap.
Mentoring more junior team members and participating in cross-functional teams and efforts, and being considerate and assertive, are very important qualities at this level of operations.
- Work with, and inform, leadership to shape the technical implementation and architecture or key client services in the pipeline
- Help leadership to track progress and outcomes, and provide key insight when a change of direction is needed
- Contribute to the design and implementation of the Data Model underpinning assets and scenes
- Design and/or contribute to tools for conforming, composition, and exchange across stages of production, departments, authoring and consumption environments
- Work with and mentor more junior members of the team to help resolve issues and solve problems
- Contribute to developer facing or user facing documentation as applicable.
- Operate as a domain specialist and point person for multiple teams or projects when applicable
- Senior level of experience in Computer Graphics in a VFX or AAA Game setting
- Strong experience in a pipeline or tool development role
- STEM Degree or demonstrable equivalent knowledge; as related to problem solving, analysis, and system design
- Advanced knowledge of language and environment in C++ and Python
- Demonstrable knowledge of operating and implementation for a VFX Centric DCC (Maya, Houdini)
- Experience with structured development operations (ticketing, reportage, version control etc.)
- Experience and vision around the structuring and implementation of Asset Management and Pipeline-centric projects
- Strong understanding and some experience working with USD directly
- Understanding of and the ability to operate in a structured DevOps context
- Skills in GUI/UX development, and willingness to occasionally develop PoC level frames to demonstrate or propose concepts and ideas
- Familiarity with modern structured development practices, documentation needs, and the tools that support them is very important.
- Highly committed and able to transition between independent work and team participation.
- Positive attitude towards learning, sharing and mentoring.
- Organized and methodical with an ability to communicate efficiently within a technical team.
Optional Skills and Experience
The following qualities will be highly regarded but are not required. Some of the below might become necessary learning experiences on the job dependent on time and resources, team and circumstances.
- Experience in any creative department or a strong understanding and ability to relate to the needs and operations of TDs and/or artists
- GUI/UX development and a related framework
- GPU development experience
- DevOps related experience
- Knowledge of a game engine, operation and/or development (Unreal preferred)
This is an exciting opportunity to work in the dynamic world of visual effects. If you are an ambitious software developer looking for an opportunity to work with cutting edge technology then we look forward to your application.
Please click here to review our privacy notices for job applicants.
If you require assistance applying, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be happy to assist.
TECHNICOLOR IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Technicolor complies and prohibits against discrimination on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, medical condition (including genetic characteristics), mental and/or physical disability or handicap, marital status, sex, age, veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political party preference, political belief, socioeconomic status, familial status, registered domestic partner status, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions and any other characteristic or activity protected by federal, state/provincial or local law.
Technicolor Creative Studios is the division with Technicolor, which contains Technicolor’s world-leading Visual effects and Animation brands such as MPC, The Mill, and Mikros.
Technicolor’s brands have worked on the spectacular scenes and tiny details that make movies, advertising campaigns and Animation movies genuinely mind-blowing. We’re the people behind the effects in countless blockbuster films like The Lion King, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run and advertising campaigns for clients such as Samsung, Audi, Nike and Apple. We are continually looking for the best talent globally, enthusiastic people who come in every day to be a part of some of the industry’s best work.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.