Lead / Senior Build Engineer (Unreal Engine)
11 days ago
Today, every game team reinvents the wheel to create their build system. With Bespoke CI we’re crafting a CI/CD pipeline that works for all game studios. When games inevitably have unique needs, we deliver a bespoke solution with the finishing touches to make it fit just right.
As a Lead / Senior Build Engineer for Unreal Engine, you’ve built / maintained a CI/CD pipeline for a game before, and you’re ready to join us in solving this problem for the game industry, once and for all. You’ll help grow our team’s expertise in Unreal Engine by mentoring new team members and building core features. While we'll be accepting both seniors and leads for this this position, it will be hands-on writing code, scripts, and debugging failures. As a member of a small team, you’ll be expected to contribute thoughtfully to conversations around product and team direction.
Gamebreaking is a 100% employee-owned company. We grew from nothing to a stable, prospering company with no outside investors. That means we work differently, and we like it that way . Employees own more, have more of a say, and are more responsible for our team’s success. It also means that sometimes we have to take the long way around, but we’re thinking big and bold, not fast or cheap. Expect to level up not just your individual craft skills but also your ability to operate teams and understand the inner workings of a business in games.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all of the skills listed here. We understand that your qualifications may shine through in different ways and can be based on unique perspectives and experiences. We are prepared to craft the role around the right person, whether you’ve been programming for 4 years or for 20. Teaching others first and maintaining a mentorship culture are key ingredients to our success.
Gamebreaking Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity, and are committed to maintaining a safe and inclusive environment for our team.
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- 4+ cumulative years professional experience building and maintaining build systems
- 3+ cumulative years creating/maintaining build systems for Unreal Engine
- Strong experience working with at least 1 build system (e.g. Jenkins, Teamcity, Bamboo)
- Strong experience with scripting languages (Bash, Groovy, Ruby, PowerShell, or similar)
- Experience with a strongly-typed programming language (C#, Java, C++, or similar)
- Write features and integrations to build and deploy games on multiple platforms (e.g. using Groovy, BuildGraph, C#, PowerShell, and/or Ansible)
- Develop automation to manage machines across customer deployments
- Mentor more junior engineers via paired programming and code reviews
- Put on your troubleshooting hat and diagnose game build failures
- Add thoughtful contributions to product decisions on a growing team
- Delight customers with a friendly, positive attitude and technical know-how
Our Responsibilities To You
- Encourage healthy working hours, PTO, and a respect for your time
- Foster an environment of equal opportunity, treatment, and inclusion
- Create a fun and playful environment that remains professional and respectful
- Grow our culture positively and meaningfully through a high level of transparency and thoughtful conversation
- Provide opportunities for you to learn and grow
Potential Roles and Growth Paths (Choose One)
- Engineering People Lead — Hire, manage, and mentor a small group of engineers while maintaining client relationships and code familiarity.
- Engineering Craft Director — Oversee strategic direction in your area of expertise across multiple teams as the product grows via review tech designs, setting cross-team standards, etc.
- DIY — A small company means big opportunities if you're willing to forge your own path, and we're here to support you
Notes for non-US citizens
…living and working in the US
Gamebreaking Studios is an E-Verify employer and will consider candidates for this position, such as F-1 visa holders with OPT or OPT STEM-extension work authorization, who are authorized to work in the US. US work authorization is a prerequisite for candidates who intend to live and work in the US while working for us. As such, Gamebreaking Studios will not sponsor US work visas (such as H-1B visas).
…living and working outside the US
This position is open to candidates living and working in North and South America. Applicants must be fluent in English, willing to work according to US time zones (must be available 8am - 3pm Pacific Time), and have a strong, stable internet connection conducive to remote work and video calls. Outside the US, we work with an Employer of Record to hire full-time employees. This works very similar to how employees would work for a company based in their home country. Note that work authorization in the country you will work from is still required.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.