This job might no longer be available.
Lead Rendering Engineer | Halo
3 months ago
Build amazing experiences in Halo Infinite , connect players across platforms in Minecraft , unleash your creativity on original IP or think strategy with Magic: The Gathering Arena . SkyBox Labs is a game development studio that works on some of the world’s most iconic games. Our current projects include working as a co-developer on Halo Infinite , projects in the Minecraft Universe , supporting the development of Magic: The Gathering Arena , and original title, Stela . As one of Vancouver’s fastest-growing game studios, since our inception in 2011, SkyBox Labs has evolved from a group of 8 people developing independent projects to a team of over 200 engineers, artists, designers, producers, and more.
SkyBox Labs is looking for an experienced Rendering Engineer to lead our Halo Graphics team! In this role, you will be responsible for overseeing the planning, design and implementation of graphics features and systems, providing solutions to complex problems and defining the graphics road map for specific project areas in order to achieve our goal of delivering amazing Halo experiences.
Using your strong communication and collaboration skills, you will interact with and manage various key stakeholder groups as well as participate in high level planning with technical directors and project managers. You will also manage a high-performing team of rendering engineers through performance reviews, ongoing mentorship and continuous feedback.
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious and results-driven leader with an extensive background and interest in building rendering systems and tools for industry-leading AAA games. Come make your mark and help us expand the world of Halo!
- Lead the graphics team and define, own and drive the road map on new Halo graphics features
- Collaborate with various key internal and external stakeholders to design, create, and maintain major graphics systems and features that meet technical, budgeting and scheduling requirements
- Develop robust, efficient and scalable solutions and optimize performance and memory usage
- Research and implement new technologies, systems, tools and practices
- Drive standard software development processes and best practices for requirements, design, implementation, and testing
- Oversee project dependencies, both internal and external, ensuring contingency plans are in place; recommend solutions and validate plans and timelines; and understand the overall impact on all stakeholders involved
- Provide regular updates on engineering efforts and participate in high level planning with project managers and technical directors
- Proactively identify and minimize development bottlenecks across related areas, disciplines and projects
- Articulate, develop and implement creative solutions to technical problems
- Anticipate, identify and address technical debt in order to increase efficiency for the project
- Take ownership of and deliver on technical milestones
- Perform code reviews, define work and assign tasks, attend stand ups and run sprints
- Provide hands on coding solutions to help solve complex problems or blockers
- Provide career management to the graphics engineering team through annual performance reviews, ongoing mentorship and feedback, and regular 1-on-1s
- 10+ years of professional software engineering experience in the games industry
- At least 2 years' experience in a leadership role driving technical road maps and managing high performing engineering teams
- In-depth knowledge of and experience researching, developing and optimizing real-time graphics and rendering systems and tools for AAA games
- Experience shipping multiple game titles on PC and/or console
- Extensive experience programming in C++
- Deep understanding of rendering architecture, pipelines and runtime optimization
- Strong debugging, profiling and optimization skills
- Proven knowledge of advanced and modern rendering techniques
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- Ability to communicate with technical and non-technical team members and stakeholders
- Experience providing career management to software engineers
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to lead, influence and motivate others
- Driven and self-motivated to produce results and lead technical initiatives
- Strong proficiency in and experience working with DirectX12
- Experience working with external partners
A Culture of Empowerment, Collaboration and Personal Growth
Our studio’s success can be attributed to our culture of empowerment, collaboration and personal growth. We employ a flat structure where all team members are heard, respected and trusted. We encourage knowledge sharing and personal growth through our many Lunch & Learns and frequent feedback. This culture is underscored by our strong commitment to work-life balance.
One major thing that we’re proud of is that we’ve been able to grow a 200 person studio while cultivating an inclusive grassroots culture. We value our team members’ various backgrounds, hobbies, skills, and interests and this is demonstrated through our broad spectrum of social clubs: Join our soccer team, fitness group, potluck club, or one of our many D&D groups - you can even start your own!
Work During COVID-19
In order to keep our employees, candidates and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, the majority of our teams are working from home within Canada, with plans to a return in a hybrid capacity in 2022. All interviewing, onboarding, and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
SkyBox Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Although we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.