Lead Quest Designer - World of Warcraft | Irvine, CA
8 days ago
Job Title:Lead Quest Designer - World of Warcraft | Irvine, CA
As a Lead Quest Designer you will recruit, lead, and mentor the members of a large and exciting design team on World of Warcraft. As with every designer on World of Warcraft, you will collaborate with a team of designers, engineers, artists, producers, and QA to carry quest design from initial pitch into final implementation, and be a champion of Blizzard's core values, especially “Gameplay First” and “Commit to Quality”. We value diverse voices and varied backgrounds, and we're looking for individuals to help us build fun, compelling, and inclusive gameplay and experiences for World of Warcraft.
This role is anticipated to be a hybrid work position, with some work on-site and some work-from-home. The potential home studio for this role is Irvine, CA.
What you will do…
- Help express the story of WoW via excellent exploration, gameplay, and activities.
- Establish and drive a vision for what quest content will look like going into the future.
- Interface with other teams regarding quest implementation scope, quality, efficiency, and workflow.
- Manage, mentor, and evaluate a team of Quest Designers.
- Work with our recruiting partners and the other Lead Quest Designers to continue to grow the Quest Design team.
- Work with production and other leads to manage the quest schedule, to ensure the team can deliver high quality quests on time.
- Mentor team members through creating and iterating designs, and on implementation best practices.
- Collaborate with WoW’s other discipline teams to create a cohesive game experience.
- Champion work / life balance for the Quest team.
- Serve as an active partner with the other Lead Quest Designers and in the design team’s leadership group.
- Promote, contribute to, and participate in our culture of inclusion and diversity.
To succeed, you must have…
- A desire to improve the designs and further the careers of those around you through feedback and coaching.
- Excellent collaboration skills.
- A love for and deep understanding of World of Warcraft and its universe.
- The ability to effectively communicate in both written and verbal format.
- The ability to consider feedback from multiple conflicting viewpoints and provide design guidelines for teammates to make the best overall decision.
We’re also interested in hearing stories you may have about…
- Previous management experience.
- Previous experience working on an MMO in a design capacity.
- Cover Letter, which we suggest includes a bit about you, why you are interested in working on World of Warcraft, and some games you are currently playing.
Cover letters are not required but are strongly encouraged.
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to email@example.com. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
At Blizzard Entertainment, we pour our hearts and souls into everything we create. Best known for iconic video game universes including Warcraft, Overwatch, Diablo, and StarCraft, we’ve been creating genre-defining games for millions of players around the world for more than 30 years. We’re on a quest: bring our dreams to life and craft the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Hard work, iteration and polish go into the Blizzard “secret recipe,” but the most important ingredients come from talented people who share our vision. If that sounds like you, join us.
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, among other characteristics.
We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered! Subject to eligibility requirements, the Company offers comprehensive benefits including:
- Medical, dental, vision, health savings account or health reimbursement account, healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance, disability insurance;
- 401(k) with Company match, tuition reimbursement, charitable donation matching;
- Paid holidays and vacation, paid sick time, floating holidays, compassion and bereavement leaves, parental leave;
- Mental health & wellbeing programs, fitness programs, free and discounted games, and a variety of other voluntary benefit programs like supplemental life & disability, legal service, ID protection, rental insurance, and others;
- If the Company requires that you move geographic locations for the job, then you may also be eligible for relocation assistance.
Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company. You can learn more by visiting https://www.benefitsforeveryworld.com/ .In the U.S., the standard base pay range for this role is $97,200.00 - $179,900.00 Annual. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. Actual amounts will vary depending on experience, performance and location. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.