This job might no longer be available.
Lead Quest Designer [Star Wars Project]
1 month ago
We’re collaborating with Disney and Lucasfilm Games on a new story-driven open-world video game set in the beloved Star Wars galaxy. This is a lore we love and want to do justice with a game and story that bring both new and lifelong fans on an immersive and outstanding journey that will stay with them for years.
As a Lead Quest Designer at Massive, you’ll play an instrumental role in bringing the project to life. Ultimately your challenge will be the player’s interaction with our story. Leading a team of designers as collaborating with the Narrative team and in collaboration with multidisciplinary developers, you’ll be responsible for the holistic design of narrative systems, content pipelines, and their practical implementation.
This is a permanent position based in Malmö Sweden and requires working onsite. We kindly ask you to apply with your CV and message to the hiring manager in English. Applications will be reviewed whilst the job ad is posted.
- Leading a team of Quest Designers;
- Designing, writing and implementing narrative gameplay content;
- Collaborating with the Narrative Director, Lead Writer, your Narrative colleagues, Audio (VO), and both Game & Level Designers to develop innovative missions/quests that flow with the overall game vision;
- Crafting narrative structure, creating and maintaining scripts/scenes for controlling various game elements;
- Identifying blockers to your design ideas and communicating with the appropriate teams to see if they're possible to implement (New Gameplay, AI, Cameras, Audio, Text, Objectives etc.);
- Constantly evaluating the accessibility, ease of understanding, and level of difficulty for your designs;
- Participating in the development of tools and technology to improve the narrative workflow;
- Mentoring junior narrative designers;
You’re a combination of storyteller and designer but you're also technically competent with implementation and ideally, visual scripting. You've shipped one or more major/AAA Game projects in a leadership position. You're ready to utilize your new-found knowledge and experience, applying it to our unique challenge within the Star Wars IP. As a Lead you're also fond of helping your team, removing obstacles, helping to plan and develop their skills with constructive feedback. You have a passion for interactive storytelling and an excellent understanding of the English language (our company language).
Besides the above we’re looking for someone aligned withour core valuesand the following skills and experience:
- A relevant portfolio of your work/content is required (ideally a showreel);
- You have shipped a AAA project in a LEadership role;
- Several years of Narrative/Quest Design experience from within the video games industry; (Ideally you have credits on several major titles)
- Previous experience with multiple AAA productions from concept through to post-launch;
- Experience with linear & non-linear narrative structures;
- Understanding of the technical constraints regarding narrative design implementation, on current-gen consoles & PC;
- Ideally, you have experience with Game Engines (i.e. Snowdrop, Unity or Unreal) and scripting language systems.
Massive Entertainment is a world-leading AAA studio located in Malmö Sweden and is part of the Ubisoft family. We’re a multinational team of more than 650 passionate and highly skilled people from 50+ different countries. Our studio’s goal has always been – and still is – to craft the finest gaming experiences for all players.
At Massive, you get to do what you love most while bringing your own experience to our ongoing projects, like Tom Clancy’s The Division 2, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, and The Star Wars Project. We're also developing new tech here, such as our in-house engine Snowdrop, and Ubisoft Connect - Ubisoft's digital ecosystem and distribution platform.
All your application information will be kept confidential according to EEO & GDPR guidelines.