Lead Programmer - Geometry
Cary, NC United States of America
8 days ago
WHAT MAKES US EPIC?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game developmen t.
ENGINEERING AT EPIC
WHAT WE DO
Unreal projects have been leading the pack of real-time entertainment with our constantly growing team of engineering experts. We’re always improving on the tools and technology that empower content developers worldwide.
LIKE WHAT YOU HEAR? YOU CAN BE EPIC.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Epic Games is looking for a Lead Engineer who is passionate about developing world-class 3D modeling tools for game artists. You will lead a team of highly talented and specialized engineers and mathematicians and participate in the design and implementation of novel design tools for 2D and 3D geometry, as well as continuously improve our existing tools. You will make a direct impact on the productivity of others by leading the development of user-facing tools for one of the leading game engines used by developers across the world.
In this role, you will
- Define the technical vision for Geometry Modeling and Creation in the Unreal Editor
- Build and maintain bridges with other stakeholders to realize this vision
- Plan and coordinate an elite team of developers and mathematicians as they work to develop the geometry tools and provide guidance and expertise to other areas of Epic
- Help implement and maintain new geometry modeling tools for Unreal Engine
- Create, optimize and enhance geometric algorithms and data structures
- Design and implement well-documented APIs to low-level geometric algorithms and data structures, as well as high-level components (Blueprints) suitable for use by artist end-users
- Fix bugs and maintain the Unreal Engine code base
- Analyze and fix common problems in a game engine such as load times, memory usage, and performance problems
- Support external customers by answering their requests and questions
What we’re looking for
- Ability to design and architect robust, flexible, large scale software architectures in C++
- Excellent working knowledge of 3D data structures and mathematical techniques
- Experience leading engineering teams & shipping complex projects
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated ability to communicate fluently in English (written and verbal)
- Experience with:
- 3D modeling technologies (polygonal modeling, 3D curves and surfaces/meshes, 3D sculpting, 3D widgets, texture painting, voxels, level sets, etc)
- Numerical methods, multithreaded programming, GPU computation
- Revision control systems (Git, Perforce) and software development planning/tracking systems (Jira).
- Code reviews and automated testing.
- Working in large codebases and integrating simultaneous development streams.
- Developing interactive graphical user interfaces (2D/3D/VR)
- GUI Toolkits such as WPF, Qt, Slate.
- Familiarity with Game Engine architectures and Game Editor concepts (Experience with Unreal Engine 4 is highly desirable but not required)
Epic Games spans across 12 countries with 32 studios and 1,800+ employees globally. For over 25 years, we’ve been making award-winning games and engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that bring environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.