Join the award-winning team that created God of War
We are seeking a Lead Narrative Designer. If you love collaborating with talented developers to create defining games, join us as we embark on a new journey.
The ideal candidate not only has deep knowledge of writing complex narratives for games but is capable of executing the narrative within the game through the intended player experience. This individual will be responsible for architecting and designing the narrative systems which realize the Game Directors’ vision.
- Partner with the project directors to ensure that the intended narrative vision is realized through designing quality and efficient narrative systems and integration of narrative scenes into the game.
- Help define and improve the narrative design process working with the other design leaders to ensure consistency across the design of the game.
- Build, lead, and guide a team of narrative designers and implementers through the life of the project.
- Champion the design team in the writer’s room, and support writing content for the game. This may include pitching new ideas, scripts, character bios, quests and world lore.
- Partner with writing leadership to ensure the plot and key narrative beats are executed based on the overall game direction.
- Collaborate with engineering to develop tools that support efficient and iterative development of narrative content.
- Partner with the project directors to establish the tone, voice and deeper themes of the game based on the overall game direction.
- Work with the project directors, leads and producers to support interdisciplinary collaboration across art, animation, design, audio, programming, and user research to reach project goals.
- Maintain a studio environment and team culture that supports a quality focused experience.
- Contribute to studio and team building efforts including team training/development, recruiting, community outreach, and industry networking
- Assist in ancillary project needs, such as writing for further franchise development, marketing, and other promotional pieces
- Minimum of 10+ years of experience in a professional writing or narrative design role including multiple published works or shipped games.
- Shipped at least 1 AAA game title in a Lead or Senior writing or narrative design role.
- Experience working through all phases of writing within AAA game development.
- Knowledge of contemporary gameplay and narrative design, with an understanding of different narrative systems/delivery mechanisms.
- Skills and experience to quickly turn around feedback.
- Strong collaboration, communication, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced team environment.
We value talent, self-motivation, and team spirit. In turn, we provide an environment with a large degree of autonomy and opportunities for growth.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category. We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond. We genuinely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in Santa Monica Studio.