This job might no longer be available.
Lead Narrative Designer (Star Wars Team)
Los Angeles California United States
2 months ago
Respawn Entertainment is hiring! Learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com/studio .
We’re looking for a highly skilled Lead Narrative Designer to join our Star Wars team. The Lead Narrative Designer will help oversee the creative efforts of the Narrative Design team, will lead by example, and will set the quality bar for the department. Our ideal candidate is passionate about seamless implementation of narrative-focused gameplay systems and content, and has experience as a lead or senior member of a Narrative Design team within game development. We are picturing someone with strong game design and storytelling sensibilities, who can embrace our game development philosophy and share their hard earned expertise to create an incredible experience for our players.
What you’ll do...
- Manage and lead the Narrative Design team and ensure the quality of the department’s work is at a high level.
- Work closely with the Game Director, Narrative Lead, and departments such as Code, Animation, Art, and Audio to make sure narrative design systems and content meet the vision for gameplay and requirements of the gameplay experience.
- Under the direction of the Narrative Lead, act as a champion of story, characters, thematic coherence and narrative through gameplay across development.
- Help set quality bar through hands-on creation of narrative gameplay systems, content and scripted events for use in-game.
- Help establish and maintain best practices, quality bar, pipelines, tools, and processes for the department.
- Serve as advocate for the department’s goals, needs, and desires. Remove roadblocks, raise red flags, etc.
- Collaborate with leads in other departments to ensure good communication and solid working relationships between departments.
- Develop, motivate, and mentor team members. Create opportunities for challenge and growth.
- Inspire the entire department to constantly raise the quality bar, develop solutions, streamline processes, and work cross-functionally with other departments.
- Organize and pioneer research and development efforts aimed at improving the Narrative Design pipeline, tools, and processes.
- Play a critical role in the recruiting efforts of the department, including screening, interviewing, final selection, and offer decisions.
Ideally, you will have...
- 7+ years’ experience in the games industry working in a game design capacity with a focus on narrative content and/or related systems, shipping at least one title.
- Experience focused on creating and implementing narrative game content and systems in shipped games. AAA experience is ideal.
- Ability to communicate game design concepts clearly and concisely.
- Experience working with a game engine and implementing narrative systems into the pipeline.
- Fluency in one or more scripting or programming languages.
- Experience with professional game design tools. Experience with Unreal Engine is a plus.
- An understanding of visual storytelling, camera techniques and mise-en-scène.
- Ability to both receive and deliver constructive criticism.
- Ability to process and react to feedback from multiple sources.
- Ability to lead by example, in both quality of work and professional conduct.
- Effective interpersonal, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills on a multi-disciplinary game development team, including a basic understanding of how other departments operate.
- A strong sense of responsibility and accountability.
- A positive, solution-oriented attitude and ability to inspire positivity within their team.
- Strong people skills. Empathy for addressing the problems of others, respect for others’ time.
- Passion for making and playing games.
- Shipped AAA game/s a plus.
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and work samples and we will get back to you once we have reviewed!
In addition to opportunities for creative impact and professional growth which come with being a member of our team, working at Respawn has many other perks and benefits! Learn more at respawn.com/perks .