Lead Narrative Designer - Overwatch
10 days ago
Job Title:Lead Narrative Designer - Overwatch
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a lead narrative designer to join the Overwatch team. As part of the design leadership team, your day-to-day responsibilities will include aligning the game story with mission design, creating character arcs, and being a point person for all that concerns the story and the narration of the game. The position requires a balance between creative writing, leadership, a capacity to help and inspire narrative designers, and good technical know-how. A background in-game scripting will be critical. Some exposure to VO system design is also recommended.
The ideal candidate is an accomplished game developer that can demonstrate their experience working with complex voice systems in AAA games. This includes writing scripted mission dialogue, writing hero dialogue, pacing out gameplay to help tell a story, and contributing to the overall story vision of a franchise. This is a highly collaborative position and will require working with all disciplines to help define how the story integrates with gameplay.
The lead narrative designer will also be responsible for attending some VO sessions to ensure that the game vision is being properly communicated to the voice actor. Prior VO session guidance and direction are ideal.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Help to maintain the vision of the Overwatch universe.
- Align with all our directors on the tone and feel of the game.
- Guide narrative designers in the creation and implementation of the game story.
- Write and iterate on a compelling story arch for our heroes and missions.
- Collaborate with game designers and engineers to deliver on the narrative vision.
- Write heroes' voice lines that quickly and concisely convey the gameplay of the moment.
- Create mission structures that identify narrative beats and plot lines to support the story.
- Work with Tools teams to improve writing workflows and processes.
- Successfully guide VO studio sessions.
- 5+ years of industry experience as a narrative designer/ writer.
- Creatively agile and able to pivot with evolving vision.
- Experience in people management and has an interest in mentoring.
- At least one shipped AAA game title in a lead writer/narrative role.
- Understanding and knowledge of the universe of Overwatch.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Scripting experience with text or visual scripting languages.
- Technically proficient in-game editors to implement work into the mission and maps.
- Able to act independently on writing tasks.
- Excellent organizational skills and able to work well under deadlines.
- Work and thrive in a collaborative team environment.
- Knowledge of current successful intellectual properties in today’s popular culture
- Plays and has knowledge of modern video games.
- Have a passion for interactive storytelling.
- Experience in game design and or level design
- Experience writing branching and non-linear dialogue for games.
- VO system design
- Successfully published writing work (novels, short fiction, film, television, comics)
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Links or attachments of writing samples/portfolio (preferred)
- Cover Letter (preferred)
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing a true work/life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Job Status: Full-Time
Primary Location: United States-CA-Irvine
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.