Montreal QC ca
4 days ago
As a Lead Modeller at Ubi MTL, you’ll guide the creation of the defining environments and objects that make up an in-game world.
While a portion of your time could be spent producing assets yourself, much of it will be dedicated to giving guidance and context, reviewing work, and providing feedback.
To who, exactly?
The talented team of hard surface modellers you’ll oversee: on-site in Montreal and remotely in outsourcing and/or co-development studios.
Despite location and time differences, you’ll keep everyone focused on creating enriching experiences for our players – and raise the quality bar along the way.
What you’ll do
- Partner with other art leads and the art director to discuss and develop the game vision.
- Oversee modellers as they develop and polish environments and objects throughout the 3D pipeline + occasionally create assets yourself.
- Review outsourced and integrated work, ensuring assets are aligned with the artistic vision and aesthetic and technical standards.
- Regularly meet with your Montreal-based team to assign tasks, establish priorities, discuss progress, find solutions to setbacks, communicate requirements and expectations, etc.
- Give direction and support to co-development and/or outsourcing studios.
- Provide coaching and constructive feedback to develop a consistent, quality visual style.
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the industry.
- Participate in recruitment to build and grow your team of modellers + foster their professional growth and career progression.
What you bring
- A college diploma in 3D Modelling, Fine Art, or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- Around 5 years of hard surface modelling experience in the video game industry + experience leading a team
- Knowledge of 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop) and 3D software (3DS Max, Maya, Substance Painter, Marvelous Designer, and ZBrush)
- A highly collaborative and creative spirit
- A proactive approach to problem-solving: you can anticipate issues and come up with solutions to overcome them
- Solid time management, communication, and interpersonal skills (you’ll be interacting with artists across studios – and time zones – after all)
- Comfort in constructively providing feedback (especially remotely)
- Mentorship: you’re motivated to share your knowledge and techniques to shape the next generation of hard surface modellers
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- A portfolio of your best 3D work (attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio)
At Ubisoft Montreal, a preeminent developer of video games located in Montreal’s dynamic Mile-End neighbourhood since 1997, we offer a work environment unique in the industry for allowing you to build and cultivate games that are part of critically acclaimed, iconic AAA franchises of international repute.
When you join Ubi Montreal, you enter a community of passionate, extraordinary developers connected by their need to innovate, to be creative and to work with the latest technology. You’ll discover a world where employees enjoy constant career advancement, a supportive learning environment, and competitive compensation packages.
More than anything, at Ubi Montreal, you will regularly ship a variety of big, quality titles – Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Watch_Dogs, For Honor and… well we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet… – and work with some of the most talented people in the industry.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.