Lead Mobile Engineer
10 days ago
Founded in 2007, Lumos Labs is the leader in brain training. Over 100 million users have used our Lumosity application to train their cognitive skills, playing our games over 6 billion times. We are now applying our unique approach to building scientifically-validated, delightfully fun, and deeply engaging products to other aspects of brain health and wellness. We are incubating multiple “seed-stage startups” within the company, in areas like creativity, mindfulness, emotional intelligence, and more. We are building one of the premier digital health brands and are looking for talented, mission-oriented people to join us on the journey.
Lumos is looking for a Lead Mobile Engineer to build a brand new application in the emotional wellbeing space. You are someone who loves greenfield projects and creating things from scratch. You will work very closely with the product and design leads on the team to build and test our hypotheses, with a goal of learning about the market and our users quickly. This is a pre-product/market fit product, and you understand how one needs to operate in that environment.
- A challenging fast-paced environment where risk and change are embraced
- Autonomy to make technical decisions and move quickly
- To have an outsized impact towards a product’s success
- To see a product you help launch used by millions of people to improve their lives
- To mentor less experienced teammates as the team grows over time
- Build a brand new mobile application from the ground up, using some shared tools and libraries from our other applications, but writing much of it from scratch.
- Also be responsible for portions of the backend of this application (API layer, database)
- Work collaboratively with Product and Design to imagine and implement high impact features
- Design, build, and maintain performant, reusable, scalable, and reliable code when necessary.
- Build minimally functional, possibly throwaway prototypes when necessary.
- Mentor other engineers on the team
- Experience developing applications on iOS in Objective-C and Swift. Android experience is nice-to-have, but not required.
- Experience writing the API layer for your mobile application. We are standardizing on Node/TypeScript here, but prior experience in any language is fine.
- Experience with data modeling and implementation (SQL or NoSQL) in support of your mobile application.
- The ability to build relatively complex Mobile features because you’ve been doing it for quite a while (think custom components, multithreading, object oriented programming, and architecture patterns like MVP or MVVM)
- Comfort around developing software that needs to run on many different screen sizes and densities
- Cross-platform tech experience (React Native, Flutter, etc) is nice-to-have, but not required.
- Game-engine tech experience (Unity, Cocos) is nice-to-have, but not required.
- Competitive compensation, including salary and benefits on par with later-stage companies and equity compensation on par with earlier-stage ones.
- The excitement and fun of the early-stage startup paired with the maturity and stability of a later-stage business with substantial revenue and company infrastructure.
- An egoless environment that fosters collaboration of all types. We have a culture of ownership, trust, camaraderie, and fun.
- A focus on sustainability - in our products, our business, and for our employees.
- A culture that values coming together and sharing our varied interests to illuminate new and inspiring ideas, all with a focus on helping our users make meaningful improvements in their lives.
- The opportunity to learn, grow, and bond with a tight community of co-workers based in SF, and with teammates around the world (NY, Portland, Minnesota, Brazil, Serbia, Ukraine, India).
- All of the perks that one would expect from a modern-day SF tech company.