Lead Level Designer
6 days ago
CI Games is looking for a talented Lead Level Designer. You’ll be joining the team on an ambitious and original open world survival game with a horror thematic. We’re putting a unique twist on the formula, both in mechanics and the environmental challenges we set for the player. Visual quality is paramount, so we’re building in Unreal Engine 5.
As a Lead Level Designer, you will be responsible for realising the design vision through engaging world maps, while maintaining your team’s morale and getting the best out of each Designer. Taking initiative, and maintaining passion for high quality work, is required for this rewarding yet often demanding role.
- Develop the Level Design vision together with our Creative Director and Executive Producer, and overseeing the implementation in-game, with the players experience at the centre.
- Developing and overseeing the rules and metrics for gameplay spaces.
- Development of levels from conception through to completion, including mission briefs, hand drawn layouts, whiteboxing, narrative planning, scripting and bug fixing.
- Design and build white box open world and semi-linear levels following design guidelines.
- Implement key gameplay including puzzle design, key story beats, set piece scripting, mechanics interaction, enemy and item placement.
- Work with gameplay designers and other team members to ensure key gameplay mechanics are implemented, iterating on the design to ensure the best possible experience.
- Establish standards for formal design documentation and tools for the project, providing clear and structured project documents.
- Ensure quality goals are met and are in line with the game vision.
- Working closely with stakeholders to conceive and design environments that are in line with the lore, but innovative and visually impressive too
- Collaborate with the engineering team to develop and enhance the development of tools and processes used in building our level.
- Plan the work, set priorities, detail, and supervise the work of the game design team.
- Share best practices and workflows with junior members of staff, mentoring and offering advice / feedback where necessary.
- Previous experience in a similar role
- 5+ years experience
- Open or semi open world experience
- Experience with First person or Third person games in the survival, action and adventure genres
- Excellent knowledge of gameplay mechanics and game features
- Familiarity with Unreal Engine and experience with the creation of Blueprints or demonstrable ability to quickly learn new engines and game technologies.
- Ability to create engaging level layouts to support specific gameplay rules or playstyles
- Ability to prioritise workload as well as being flexible and responsive to last minute changes
- High level of attention to detail
- Open and creative mind
- Methodical approach to work
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, able to listen carefully and respond appropriately at all levels.
What we offer:
- Attractive remuneration, holidays and social events. Our environments thrive with collaborative teamwork with people from all around the world, different nationalities, and languages.
- A supportive community inclusive of LGBTQ+, and any age, ethnicity, religion, or disability. We care about the wellbeing of our employees and have a dedicated employee wellbeing programme.
- Flexibility with our core hours, and no-notice holidays.
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Free games and merchandise
- Wrap parties for game releases
- Remote/Homeworking from anywhere in Europe with flexible working schedules, a fun environment, and a relaxing culture, including the opportunity to work with the leading technology and creative minds in the world.
- Learn as you work and be part of something real that changes the face of gaming - forever
We are an equal opportunities employer with a commitment to building a diverse workforce, representative of the world we live and game in!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Accessibility is at the heart of our games and we reflect that in how we operate as a business. Should you require adjustments or flexible arrangements to interview, or take up a role at with us, please let us know in your application and we will accommodate to the best of our ability.