Lead Level Designer - Overwatch
9 days ago
Job Title:Lead Level Designer - Overwatch
Blizzard Entertainment is currently looking for a Lead Level Designer. The position involves leading a team of level designers as they design, prototype, and build PvP and PvE spaces, interface with other departments in the creation of PvP maps, missions, and game modes as well as create levels of their own in our proprietary game engine. The person in this position will work closely with the game director and other leads to keep alignment on the project goals and help foster talents within the design team.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Guiding the team in crafting unique spaces where gameplay flow and visual composition form memorable experiences.
- Be the point person for level design with other team members to make sure levels created to contribute to enhancing the gameplay, the game narrative and are aligned with the art vision and technicality.
- Participating in building exemplary content to help the project grow and provide examples for level designers to learn from.
- Contribute to the creation and constant improvement of pipelines and processes.
- Manage the level designers in the priority of their tasks and their deliverables; providing critical feedback on their performance to help them succeed in their craft and career.
- At least 7 years experience in game development with at least 2+ years in a Lead Level Designer position on AAA production.
- Experience with shooters and online multiplayer elements is recommended.
- Experience managing and leading a group of designers.
- Proven success in creating varied, memorable levels.
- Experience with game editors and/or 3D packages.
- Excellent understanding of level design fundamentals and the role of level design in the overall player experience.
- Extensive knowledge of current titles, specifically in multiplayer co-op & pvp area.
- Some general knowledge in art or architecture or civil engineering is a plus.
- Ability to create map layouts at all stages – from simple sketches to fully functional levels in an existing game engine.
- Strong analytical and creative thinking abilities.
- Outstanding verbal and written interpersonal communication skills.
- Some experience in a form of scripting or programming.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing a true work/life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Job Status: Full-Time
Primary Location: United States-CA-Irvine
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.