Lead Hero Designer
17 days ago
Based in Guildford, DPS Games is looking for a Lead Hero Designer to oversee the creation of Player Characters. In this role, you will help to inspire and create gameplay for a new & exciting Free to Play project aimed at a western audience.
As Lead Hero Designer, you will be responsible for overseeing the design and implementation of Heroes and related content. You will report to the Design Director, working with stakeholders and your teams to deliver characters of truly epic proportions. We’re aiming for larger-than-life characters with a unique twist! You’ll need to wield the various skills and experiences of your Hero designers, whilst mentoring and developing them.
In this position, you will be working within a multi-disciplinary team of developers in a global community and can share your knowledge and continue to develop your skill set by learning from your teammates.
We are looking for someone with a positive attitude who can integrate themselves seamlessly into our team & studio culture, has a strong set of design principles, and the ability to direct multiple areas of the game toward the same vision.
You will report to the Design Director.
What will you do?
- Lead the design of Heroes for a multiplayer free-to-play “games-as-a-service” title built in UE4
- Establish and maintain frameworks, metrics and practices for developing consistent, high-quality Heroes
- Mentor and lead the internal Hero design team
- Support recruitment where necessary
- Contribute to and implement the vision of the game
- Document design decisions clearly and communicate to key stakeholders and external studios
- Gather direction from the Creative Director, Design Director, and other Leads to develop quality designs whilst hitting deadlines
- Collaborate with analysts and evaluate metrics, user testing, and other sources of feedback, to identify issues
What are we looking for?
- Proven experience across multiple products including experience as a lead
- Experience in “games as a service” and/or free-to-play experience
- An excellent understanding of Hero-based content design and developing a living roster of varied characters
- Excellent documentation and communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of game design and game development concepts
- Ability to work within restrictions to solve problems as they occur
- Actively contribute to growth of the studio. Lead by example, including demonstrating a willingness to give and receive feedback, collaborate with others to share techniques, ideas, and contribute to a positive working environment
- Willingness to take initiative and responsibility to increase the quality of the game and health of the team
What additional skills will help you stand out?
- Experience working with PVP multiplayer titles
- Experience working on battle royales and extraction-shooter games, is highly desirable
- Experience working on tactical, slower-paced and more cerebral action shooters
- Have experience working with multiple studios across different time zones
- Experience working with outsourcing and development partner teams
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Wargaming is an award-winning online game developer and publisher headquartered in Nicosia, Cyprus. Operating since 1998, Wargaming has become one of the leaders in the gaming industry with 15 offices worldwide, including studios in Chicago, Prague, Shanghai, Tokyo, and Vilnius. Our diverse and multicultural team works together to deliver a top-class experience to millions of players who enjoy Wargaming's titles across all major gaming platforms. Our flagship products include free-to-play hits World of Tanks, World of Warships and World of Tanks Blitz.