Lead Gameplay Programmer
13 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Are you a senior programmer looking for your first leadership position, or an engineering lead who wants to manage a small team and also make direct code contributions? Insomniac Games is looking for a Lead Programmer for a team working on AI and combat systems for an exciting AAA game. This job is a blend of direct technical contribution and team management, balancing programming work in the combat/AI realm with managing, mentoring, and caring for the well-being of your team members. You don't have to have any people management experience to apply (we will teach you!) but you should have displayed technical leadership in some form. Want to learn more? Keep reading!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Lead a small team of programmers
- Assist in developing the vision, architectural design, and planning for Insomniac's current and future gameplay systems
- Write code in C++ but not taking priority over non-technical duties
- Provide mentorship, performance evaluation, and career development support and opportunities for members of the team
- Plan, organize, monitor, and evaluate team's work
- Provide technical and creative direction and feedback to team.
- Work closely with other departments such as Design, Creative, and Project Management to:
- Provide technical, scheduling, and creative feedback on the game your team is supporting
- Help develop project goals
- Communicate technical requirements and limitations
- Ensure a balanced team schedule that meets project goals in a timely manner
- Participate in the hiring and onboarding of new employees
- Collaborate with Insomniac studio leadership to support studio cultural values and champion a positive work environment
This individual will supervise a team of employees across multiple studio locations and is responsible for carrying out duties in accordance with the studio's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include but are not limited to interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience:
- Seven to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong skills in C++ and 3D math
- Ability to provide vision and architecture for game systems
- Strong game design sensibilities and interest in creating a great player experience
- Interest in people management/developing leadership skills, with a particular focus on employee wellbeing
- Experience working on gameplay systems in AAA games is a plus
- Experience scheduling, scoping, and/or distributing technical work a plus
- Previous experience managing a team a plus
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.