This job might no longer be available.
Lead Gameplay Programmer [Unannounced Project] (291)
Royal Leamington Spa England gb
8 months ago
Lead an engineering team within a collaborative multi-discipline environment with a focus on the three pillars of Leadership at Ubisoft: Care about People, Drive Performance and Development and Lead in Complexity.
- Build an effective team to ensure it is fully resourced, a manageable size and a good mix of levels and foster the team player culture;
- Plan, prioritise and set inspiring objectives for your team members all year long;
- Empower your team members with clear expectations and hold them accountable for their key results;
- Provide your team members with ongoing and meaningful feedback on performance and development --ensuring positive acknowledgement of all achievements, both big and small;
- Enable your team members to reflect and prepare their future in their role and at Ubisoft;
- Engage and positively influence team members and stakeholders around a vision;
- Navigate through ambiguity and embrace change with a positive mindset;
- Create the environment for initiatives and ideas to emerge and grow;
- Care about people: be exemplary and supportive;
- Communicate with impact and promote an open dialogue within your team.
- Work with production, engineers, design and art team leads to create task estimates and schedules for the engineering team and track development efforts across the team;
- Ensure your team participates in standard studio development processes;
- Liaise with internal and external middleware technology providers, and console manufacturers;
- Balance active code development with the management requirements and responsibilities of a discipline lead;
- Ensure the delivery of practical and timely solutions by the engineering team that meets the game design and technical requirements;
- Ensure code is modular, self-contained, and defensive and observes the technical constraints on the system by leading regular technical design and code reviews;
- Define good programming practices and coding standards, and ensure they are enforced within the engineering team through regular peer code reviews;
- Ensure the creation of technical documentation for the engineering team as well as other disciplines, and assist in the creation of submission materials as required;
- Continually review the game and development processes to identify potential improvements;
- Be an advocate and ambassador for technology sharing across projects;
- Supporting the line manager in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent C/C++ programming skills, with excellent knowledge of object oriented development;
- Familiarity with common scheduling, task and issue tracking tools –MS Project, Jira, etc;
- Able to create, manage and track schedules for a team of engineers;
- Self-motivated and pro-active with a strong work ethic;
- Excellent oral and written communication and general soft skills;
- Excellent knowledge of common algorithms, data structures and patterns, and the ability to apply them to problems while keeping constraints and performance in mind;
- Knowledge of most areas of game development (physics, AI, gameplay, rendering, online, tools, UI, audio) with expertise in at least 1 area;
- Proven ability to analyse unfamiliar code of a significant complexity to understand and extend the functionality of an existing module;
- In-depth knowledge of different software development methods such as Test Driven Development, Unit Testing, Agile, etc;
- Proven ability to debug defects of a significant complexity, including memory related issues, multi-threading, and assembly level debugging.Relevant Experience
- Experience managing and leading technical staff;
- Several years of commercial software development experience as a senior engineer with significant involvement in 2 published games a plus;
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject or equivalent industry experience.
Benefits & Relocation
Flexible working, 22 days annual leave + Christmas shutdown, private healthcare (with option to add immediate family), life insurance & income protection, workplace pension scheme, paid volunteering days, annual fitness & well-being allowance, games, technology & merchandise, subsidised travel and many more...
Relocation assistance is available to anyone currently living 50 miles or more from the studio location. Please contact a member of the talent acquisition team to find out what we have to offer and how we can support with your move here... relocation really doesn't have to be a daunting prospect.
Find out more about Ubisoft Leamington: https://reflections.ubisoft.com/about/ubisoft-leamington/
Ubisoft Reflections & Ubisoft Leamington is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Ubisoft Leamington has been a member of the Ubisoft family since January 2017 and has collaborated on Tom Clancy’s The Division & The Division 2, Far Cry 5 and Starlink: Battle For Atlas. Currently comprised of a 70-strong team, the studio is a solid and experienced group supported by a mix of veteran developers and promising young talent. Based in Royal Leamington Spa, Ubisoft Leamington is at the heart of a thriving destination for UK game developers.