Lead Gameplay Engine Programmer
8 days ago
WHAT MAKES US EPIC?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
What We Do
Unreal projects have been leading the pack of real-time entertainment with our constantly growing team of engineering experts. We’re always improving on the tools and technology that empower content developers worldwide.
What You'll Do
We're looking for a Lead Gameplay Engine Programmer to lead a team who will build the systems that Unreal Engine customers build their games on. You and your team will also be improving and supporting existing gameplay systems such as Blueprint, Gameplay Ability System, Enhanced Input, Game Features and Modular Gameplay plugins. You should have experience leading a team of programmers and setting them up for success.
You should have a broad knowledge of modern game engine technology, as well as a good sense of trade-offs between performance, memory usage, and ease-of-implementation. Additionally, you should have experience working closely with developers in all disciplines, not just other programmers. Your team’s goal is to empower Unreal Engine users, including Fortnite, to make world-class experiences using the systems that you create, through close iteration with both our internal game teams and external engine customers.
In This Role You Will
- Lead a team of world-class programmers and coordinate development of gameplay systems.
- Architect and guide gameplay system development to help Unreal Engine grow to fit the needs of current and future games and applications.
- Mentor and foster the professional development of your team.
- Scope and prioritize work in close collaboration with the team, making trade-offs when they’re appropriate.
- Maintain long term feature roadmaps that align with Unreal Engine goals.
- Work closely with other teams, often across different projects, along with their leads and production to align feature work to help everyone succeed.
- Work with artists, animators, and designers to understand their needs when designing and developing engine systems.
- Optimize both memory and performance in systems that have to scale from high-end to mobile systems.
- Analyze and fix common problems in a game engine such as load times, memory usage, and performance problems.
- Be a go-to expert resource for supporting gameplay systems in internal projects such as Fortnite.
- Support external Unreal Engine customers by answering their requests and questions about gameplay systems.
- Bug fix and maintain the Unreal Engine 5 code base.
What We're Looking For
- Excellent leadership skills, including mentoring your team, planning technical roadmaps, making trade-offs, and prioritization.
- Excellent C++ skills, with a familiarity of scripting systems like Blueprint, Lua, Python, etc.
- Experience in a broad range of programming areas on shipping games or realtime visualization systems, with special attention given to low-level code and deep optimization.
- Well-versed in software engineering principles, especially API design.
- Experience in a cross-disciplinary development environment, with excellent cross-discipline communication skills. You should be able to communicate and explain trade-offs with non-programmers!
- Familiarity with an existing game engine with an understanding of game engine and editor concepts.
- Familiarity with development tools and profiling on modern systems, including PC, console, and mobile.
- Experience developing in a large codebase at a fast pace, making trade-offs between usability, performance, and power.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate fluently in English (written and verbal).
- You’re user-focused, passionate, scrappy, solutions-focused, and innovative. These traits equal success at Epic and influence everything we do.
Epic Job + Epic Benefits = Epic Life
Our intent is to cover all things that are medically necessary and improve the quality of life. We pay for 100% of the premiums for both you and your dependents. We offer coverage for Medical, Dental, Vision HRA, Long Term Disability, AD&D and Life Insurance, 401k, and profit-sharing.
All Epic employees can enjoy drinks, snacks, and lunches every day, free of charge in studios - and we offer plenty of annual celebrations for employees and family members to show the love for our people. Additionally, each year, we celebrate the Epic family with company-wide paid breaks, generous paid time off, and recognize individuals for 7 years of employment with a paid sabbatical - we think our people are pretty awesome!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Epic Games spans across 12 countries with 32 studios and 3,000+ employees globally. For over 25 years, we’ve been making award-winning games and engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that bring environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.