Lead Gameplay Designer (Skeleton Key)
13 days ago
At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
Skeleton Key is a new game development studio and division of Wizards of the Coast. We are a group of industry veterans who are guided by the belief that empowering our teams and providing the proper time, tools, and support we can foster a creative culture where everyone can do their best work.
Our new studio will be located in Austin, TX, and we are looking for a passionate and dedicated Lead Gameplay Designer to join us. We are open to on-site, hybrid, and full-time remote working options for potential candidates.
Reporting to the Game Design Director, you will play a meaningful role on the project by helping to concept, lead, and implement the moment-to-moment vision of the game. Including being accountable and responsible for player camera, combat, controls, and enemies. The ideal candidate has proven experience leading teams and building engaging first-person gameplay in other AAA titles and understand what makes core gameplay mechanics fun.
What You'll Do:
- Own and drive the core combat and gameplay systems for the project.
- Build and iterate on core combat systems such as weapons, interactions, player movement, cameras, and AI from inception to launch.
- Collaborate with other teams, and ensure the appropriate partners are involved and informed throughout development.
- Act as a strong quality advocate for the team, crafting compelling moment-to-moment gameplay, and help other team members achieve the same high quality.
- Lead and develop a team of Gameplay/Combat Designers, inspiring and empowering them to do great work.
- Build and maintain documentation for all owned features.
- Help evangelize the game’s vision to the rest of the team at large.
- Provide constructive feedback to team members.
- Remain current with industry trends and competitor games.
What You'll Bring:
- 7+ years as a Combat or Gameplay Designer, with first-person perspective experience.
- A minimum of 2 shipped AAA titles.
- Proven experience with controls, player movement, weapons, interactions, cameras, AI, melee, vehicles, progression, game balance, exploration mechanics.
- Extensive familiarity working in Unreal or other modern game engines.
- Hands-on practice and implementation of complex systems (ex – aim assist, AI Behavior trees, overall game balance).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Self-sufficient and self-motivated - you are able to push features forward but also know when to ask for guidance or help!
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation range for this role. The range listed is just one component of Wizards of the Coast’s total compensation package for employees. Employees may also be eligible for annual and long-term incentives. In addition, Wizards of the Coast provides a variety of benefits to employees. Here’s a look at what your benefits package may include: Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation Time & Holidays, Generous 401(k) match, Paid Parental Leave, Volunteer Program, Employee Giving & Matching Gifts Programs, Tuition Reimbursement, Product Discounts, and more.
$127,920 — $207,360 USD