Lead Gameplay Animator
4 days ago
That’s No Moon Entertainment is an independent AAA game development studio established in 2021 by veterans of some of the most recognizable and critically acclaimed creative teams in the world, including Naughty Dog, Infinity Ward, Santa Monica Studio, Bungie, PlayStation, and more. Based in Los Angeles and San Diego, That’s No Moon Entertainment is creating the next generation of narrative-driven, genre-defining experiences built upon a culture of creativity, collaboration, responsible production practices, and individual empowerment. We are assembling a diverse team of passionate developers of a wide range of experience levels and backgrounds to help shape the future of our studio and projects.
We are looking for a Lead Gameplay Animator with a passion for creating incredible animation for a AAA title. Expect to manage a team of animators to ensure the highest quality and in-game functionality. Their responsibilities also include helping develop workflows, tools and processes used by animators. Work with the Animation Director, design, motion edit, tech art and the motion capture departments to support gameplay mechanics that are functional, responsive, fluid and will seamlessly connect to cinematics and story.
- Create and integrate AAA quality gameplay animations that reflect the game design goals and mechanics
- Collaborate with gameplay engineers and tech artists to help develop tools and workflow
- Use motion capture effectively and hand-key appropriately
- Work closely with engineers and design to implement animation systems such as motion matching
- Lead the gameplay animation team and collaborate with the Lead Cinematic Animator to make sure cinematics and gameplay are cohesive
- Work at the highest level, technically and aesthetically
- Be proactive with troubleshooting any animation workflow, rigging and pipeline issues
- Communicate effectively with animators, engineers and design, to give and accept feedback
- Lead and mentor a team of gameplay animators to ensure all animation is at the highest quality, functionality and appropriately reflect character attributes
- Create and maintain motion lists in collaboration with other departments
- Demonstrate standard methodologies in animation for efficiency and quality, lead by example
- Participate in motion capture shoots when needed
Requirements & Skills:
- Proven lead experience working with motion capture data and hand-key animation in the game industry
- Ability to create and lead in all aspects of animation including biped, quadruped and vehicles
- Demo reel showing an understanding of animation principles, while including gameplay
- Experience in specific gameplay animation editing including blending, cycles, motion matching
- Professional working knowledge of Maya
- Experienced gameplay animation integration knowledge
- Passion for making games and the enthusiasm to make the best!
- Proven ability to successfully lead an Animation team
- Ability to innovate, assist in or bring new insights to gameplay through animation and prototyping
- Excellent problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Flexibility in switching tasks to accommodate production priorities
- Ability to appreciate other department's perspectives
- Maintain integrity and confidence in results-oriented times
- Empathic and respected team leader
- Team oriented with a desire to mentor other animators
- Promote inclusivity, diversity and fairness
- Practice patience and be open to giving and receiving feedback
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
That's No Moon is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, color, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, legally protected physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.