Lead Game Designer
28 days ago
Lab42 is a best-in-class cross-platform game developer based in the UK. Our headcount has grown with fantastic, experienced people supported by a veteran management team with backgrounds from Activision, Codemasters and EA.
We developed the officially licensed photo-realistic, sports/simulation Snooker19 with World Snooker for all major Consoles and PC. That’s in addition to providing a range of development services and special projects to a growing client list which features Paradox, Sega, Codemasters and Curve Digital.
Lab42 is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
We are looking for a passionate and experienced Lead Game Designer to join Lab42 - a Sumo Digital Studio. This is an exciting opportunity for a designer specialising in leading design, feature ownership, and implementation.
Within this role you will:
- Lead game design from inception through to game release; striving for quality and innovation while adhering to the core vision of the game
- Be the champion of quality for multiple feature designs; executing the vision of the stakeholder team
- Represent Lab42 with third party publishing, marketing and press
- Review and adapt designs based on user testing and telemetry data
- Create and maintain detailed design documentation
- Collaborate across disciplines and external partners to facilitate the development
- Define and allocate tasks to the design team, including accurately assessing the time required to complete each task
- Mentor junior design team members
- Report directly to the Lab42 Design Director
We need you to have:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A proven track record of designing for high-profile games
- A flexible and innovative approach to design problem solving and new concept generation
- A likable and approachable personality with a desire to motivate those around you
- A passionate love of gaming and a strong understanding of modern gaming trends
- 5+ years in game development with at least 1 year in a lead role
What We Offer:
· Annual Bonus & Annual Salary Reviews
· Electric car scheme
· Salary Sacrifice Pension Scheme
· Flexible Working
· 27 Days Holiday, including your birthday a duvet day and Christmas
· Holiday ‘buy and sell’ scheme
· 5 Paid Learning Days, including 1 volunteer day per year
· Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses, The Gnomen Workshop, GDC Vault and more
· Enhanced Mat/Paternity & Adoption pay
· Free Life Assurance - 4x Salary
· Free Income Protection Scheme -up to 75%
· Free Dental Insurance
· Supportive Employee Assistance Programme with confidential 24/7/365 helpline & app
· Access remote GP, Mental Health, Physio appointments & medical second opinions
· Additional flexible benefits scheme
· Cycle to Work Scheme
· Mental Health First Aiders
· Payroll Giving Scheme
· Game & Book Libraries
· Long service & project completion awards
· Wrap Parties
· Alternative Travel Prize Draw
· The Sumo GameJam
· Great family events
· Studio clubs, inc. running, board games, film…
· Life Drawing
· Yoga Classes
· Free fruit and drinks
· Employee Referral Bonus
· Career Development
· Relocation Support to the UK
· Visa Sponsorship
Why should you work at Lab42?
Lab42 was formed with just one developer, and we have grown organically over the last five years. Now part of the Sumo Group we’re based in the heart of Royal Leamington Spa; a thriving town with a bustling game-development scene.
It’s an exciting time to be part of the Sumo family, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
We are a small, dedicated bunch with experience, drive, passion and creativity. Lab42 has a flexible working environment that make this a relaxed and friendly place to work. By prioritising the happiness and wellbeing of our staff we have been able to hire many industry veterans, and we are proud to have one of the lowest rates of staff attrition in game development.
On application, please include your current CV and any relevant portfolio content. You must be eligible to work in the UK to apply for this role.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.