Lead Game Designer - Remote/Hybrid
7 days ago
With a rich history of developing multiple AAA franchises such as Little Big Planet and Crackdown, as well as contributing to genre-defining titles like the Forza Motorsport and Hitman series, Sumo Sheffield’s vast development experience spans multiple genres and platforms.
As winners of the TIGA Star Employment Award for 2021, recipients of the GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work Award and listed as one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to Work for in 2021, Sumo Digital has enjoyed 18 years of stability and growth since its formation in 2003 and continues to strive for excellence across every single project.
The team have a track record of working on some of the world's biggest and best games and received two BAFTAs for their work on Sackboy: A Big Adventure. As the scale and exclusivity of projects continues to grow, there’s never been a more exciting time to join the Sumo Sheffield family!
The Role @ Sumo
We are looking for a Lead Game Designer to join us on an exciting original IP. This is a fantastic opportunity to make an impact and play a pivotal role in developing this innovative title.
As Lead Game Designer, you are responsible for the output and development of the game design team. You will create, maintain, and evangelise best practices from a game design perspective. In this role, you will be expected to champion quality across the project and collaborate with all teams in the delivery of an exciting new AAA franchise.
In your new role, you will:
- Report to the Design Director, overseeing the creation and implementation of innovative game systems within the defined creative direction, vision, experience fantasy and target audience.
- Work with the project Stakeholder team and publishing team to plan future content as part of an ongoing content development cycle.
- Supervise the creation and maintenance of game system documentation.
- Define and allocate tasks to the design team, including accurately assessing the time required to complete each task.
- Troubleshoot design issues from a creative standpoint.
- Review, tweak and balance gameplay to deliver a AAA quality experience.
- Manage the output and development of the project game design team.
- Line manage the design team, running regular one to ones, design team meetings and performance reviews.
To be successful, you will have:
- Experience leading teams of designers in a cross-discipline environment, with 2 or more shipped titles on console or PC (experience in the shooter genre at senior level or above is a distinct advantage).
- An excellent understanding of past and current game trends; particularly in the multiplayer shooter genre.
- A proven ability to breakdown high-level design goals into individual components.
- A proven ability to present ideas to a wide variety of audiences, both technical and non-technical in a succinct manner.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A positive, ethical and uplifting attitude with an open mind.
What we offer:
. Defined Annual Bonus Scheme
. ULEV car scheme
. Monthly allowance to spend on enhancing benefits
. Salary Sacrifice Pension
. Flexible Working
. 21 days free-use holiday
+ your birthday off
+ 5 learning days including 1 volunteer day
+ a duvet day
+ Christmas shutdown from Christmas Eve to New Year
+ Bank Holidays
+ extra allowance accrued for longer service
. Free dental insurance
. Life Assurance 4x Salary
. Income Protection of 75% for 5 years
. Enhanced Mat/Paternity & Adoption pay
. Employee Assistance Programme:
. Help at Hand - Remote GP, Mental Health & Physio appointments
. Free financial & home buying support consultations
. Cycle to Work Scheme
. Payroll Giving Scheme
. Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
. Career Development Pathway
. Wrap Parties.
. Project Completion Awards
. Game/Creative Jams
. Big Family Events
. Studio social activities, e.g. running, board games, film, yoga, life drawing…
. Prism – Sumo’s employee diversity focus group
. Free fruit and drinks in our studios
. Employee Referral Bonus
. Relocation Support to the UK
. Visa Sponsorship
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo, we want to enable everyone to bring their full, authentic selves to work every single day. We acknowledge that the games industry is far from perfect and a global organisation with people all over the world, from all kinds of backgrounds, we know it’s part of our duty to provide everyone at Sumo with a safe, accepting and affirming working environment.
We encourage and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
More about Sumo Sheffield
Sumo Sheffield is located just outside the city centre in Sumo Digital’s HQ, just off J34 on the M1 and a stone’s throw from the city’s primary shopping and leisure complex. With a multi-building campus comprised of industry-leading facilities, an onsite gym and subsidised canteen, Sumo Sheffield provides everything needed for all teams to create the world’s best games.
Sheffield is the fifth largest city in the UK and is easily accessible by road and rail from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. The city enjoys a wealth of facilities to suit a wide array of interests, including:
o World-class sports facilities
o Iconic theatres and galleries
o Multiple retail and shopping experiences
o Diverse and renowned restaurants and eateries
o The award-winning National Video Game Museum
More about Sumo Digital
Sumo Digital is an award-winning international family of studios. Recent releases from Sumo Digital studios include: BAFTA-Award winning Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Hood: Outlaws & Legends, Control Ultimate Edition on Google Stadia, Apple Arcade Award-winning Little Orpheus, Hot Shot Racing, WST Snooker and Spyder.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.