Lead Game Designer
14 days ago
We are looking for a Lead Game Designer for our next big game!
Housemarque is looking for a Lead Game Designer. The ideal candidate will have a strong game design background, multiple game credits and a passion for shipping high-quality games with a fun and collaborative team. In this role you’ll work closely with Game Director, Design Director and other discipline leads, and you bring out the best in our talented and passionate Design team.
What will your day-to-day look like?
- Partner with the Game Director & Gameplay Director and team leadership to define the creative vision and direction for our project
- Help steer strategic creative decisions and ensure consistency of vision with all efforts related to the project
- Work closely with the team, collaborating with them and allowing them to gain ownership with clear focus and goals
- Maintain a work environment that is motivating for team members and which fosters development and creation
- Clearly define and champion high standards of production quality for all design work
- Assess the workload vs. production capacity, plan the work, and set priorities for the game design team
- Communicate the project objectives, strategies, and general information to all team members so as to give visibility to the advancement of the development of the game and the other crafts
- Mentoring other members of the Design team, helping them to improve and grow
- Balance hands-on work with the management responsibilities of a discipline lead
What will help you to be successful in this role?
- 5+ years professional game development experience
- Shipped at least one AAA title on any platform
- Expertise using Unreal Engine or similar
- Ability to direct, collaborate, and speak critically on story, art and content development
- Excellent sense for game design and creating outstanding user experiences
- Proven ability to carry complete designs from high-level concepts to high-quality execution
- Positive team-oriented attitude with excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Leadership ability, strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proactive, self-motivated and comfortable working without direct supervision
- Strong ability to diagnose not-quite-working designs and prescribe elegant solutions
- Able to accept critique of your work and have the ability to embrace change
- Familiarity with Housemarque’s past games
At Housemarque, we believe " Game is King! " because gameplay always comes first.
With technical excellence and compelling narrative, spiced with our trademark neon flair and top-notch audiovisual feedback, we want our players to always feel actively engaged with the worlds we have created for them.
Our latest award-winning game Returnal , released on PS5 in 2021, embraces all these qualities. THIS is our DNA!
We value Nordic work-life balance by growing sustainably and ensuring our employees have the time and means to develop personally and professionally during work time.
We were established in 1995 with strong roots in the Finnish demoscene . In June 2021 we joined the PlayStation Studios , after years of partnership.
If you wish to join us for our next journey, apply today!
What we offer to you?
- Competitive salary, benefits, healthcare, Nordic work-life balance
- Tailored immigration and relocation package to help you get settled into Finland
- A warm and welcoming atmosphere at our cozy Helsinki office
- Freedom, flexibility and openness in a collaborative culture
- Brilliant, diverse and empathetic colleagues to work with
- Exciting and ambitious projects executed with the best tools
- Access to PlayStation Studios collaboration, games and more!
This is a permanent, full-time position based in Helsinki, Finland.
We will start interviewing promising candidates immediately so please apply as soon as possible.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.