Lead Game Designer - Characters (Apex Legends)
16 days ago
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide. Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond.
Apex Legends is looking for a Lead Game Designer who will help us create exciting new characters. You'll work with all departments to design new Legends from early prototype through release. We value creative ownership and candid feedback and you should embody those traits. You will report to our Design Director.
You have experience on a live service game in character design OR first person shooter design, and have enough technical and scripting abilities to work independently. You have a suite of game development best practices (bug management, self scheduling, feature scoping) and are enthusiastic about upholding them. You'll lead a team of character designers and will have some management responsibilities.
- Work with a team of passionate developers from all disciplines to create new playable characters for Apex Legends.
- Create and maintain high-quality gameplay systems in script.
- Work with other disciplines to implement core game mechanics and assets, ensuring the best possible gameplay experience
- Support and grow your teammates through knowledge-sharing, debugging and mentoring.
- Set priorities and goals for your work and the work of the team.
- Maintain your own bug list.
- Help set goals and plans for future Apex Legend releases, working with all departments to ensure cohesive themes.
- Playtest the game (a lot), providing feedback for all features, not just Legends.
- Lead design reviews and guide the team towards good solutions to design problems.
- Promote a culture of creative ownership, candid feedback and a safe working environment.
- Work with others on side projects to make Apex a better game.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- 5+ years of experience as a technically-oriented game designer, with multiplayer experience
- At least one shipped AAA game
- An understanding of competitive integrity in a multiplayer game.
- Experience designing characters in a multiplayer game.
- Proficient in text-based scripting or other programming languages
- A friendly disposition!
- Enjoy playing Apex Legends, understand what makes it work, and can discuss it in depth.