Lead Fullstack Engineer, Skillz App
6 days ago
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
The Skillz App team is a multidisciplinary team, focusing on building engaging experiences for both existing Skillz champions, and new players just beginning their Skillz journey. We own both Skillz app, and the Skillz.com mobile web app, a pair of new and growing React.js / React Native applications, both of which are set to drive innovation in the Skillz ecosystem for many years to come.
Our two primary KPIs are driving retention and discovery! We want players to find not just the first game on our platform they love, but the second, third, and tenth! We also want our players to find new ways to engage with events on the platform, and use these tools to grow their skills, and their fame!
Together we have the opportunity to collaborate with the wider Skillz platform, sharing ideas, features, and technology. When we need to, we can dive in and contribute to, or pull from, other parts of the platform, tying together the wider ecosystem and making it all available to players.
Both of these apps are newly formed, and beginning to pick up speed. To that end, we’re looking for an experienced Lead Engineer to drive forward the foundational architecture of these two ecosystems, including helping us grow from a small team, to two fully staffed, high velocity teams, over the next year.
An ideal candidate would be excited to mentor a small but growing team of engineers, dive into full stack development, including React/React Native, as well as collaborate with our amazing team to define both technical architecture, and product roadmap, integrated with the wider Skillz ecosystem.
What you’ll do:
- Iterate on exciting new features for Skillz App, guiding the team to grow to millions of installs over the next year.
- Collaborate with our Architecture team to own and define the long term technical roadmap for both Skillz App and games.skillz.com.
- Leverage your technical expertise to understand and interop with the wider Skillz product suite, including our mobile SDK, Developer Console, and our internal Admin tooling.
- Mentor a growing team of passionate engineers who care about building phenomenal products as much as you do!
- Revolutionize the mobile gaming industry, and help bring eSports to everyone!
What you’ll need:
- 5+ years full stack experience, including building and maintaining full stack web or mobile applications throughout their life cycle.
- Multi-year mentorship experience, acting as a lead or architect for multiple engineers.
- Experience with maintaining highly scaled AWS-based back-end systems, including on-call rotations, and infrastructure experience.
- A desire to pursue a React Native-based mobile tech stack alongside your team, strong plus if you have hands-on experience in React Native, but not required.
- Excitement to learn and use new languages and technologies.
- Strong organization and written communication skills.
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance .