This job might no longer be available.
Lead Front-End Engineer, Defence
16 days ago
Improbable has created SpatialOS: a networking solution combining low latency, tools for faster iteration, and a ready-to-go architecture capable of supporting innovative games.
Now the Improbable Defence division, building on the backbone of SpatialOS, has combined world class scientific modelling, market leading AI, mission specific user interfaces and a uniquely flexible and secure deployment model to create a powerful simulation platform tailored to the needs of the military.
Our mission? To enable the most realistic and effective military simulations ever experienced, making defence users more effective on operations and decreasing the cost of military preparedness.
will be to join a growing team as a Lead Engineer, with immediate opportunity for impact, on a brand new platform for decision making and virtual training.
You will be working on customer projects building web applications for operational planning, tactical training, and decision support. We are very early in our journey and there are various parts to this that are worth unpacking.
These applications allow users to create and design plans for scenarios to be simulated.
Secondly, our applications are the interface to the simulation engine. Users can run complex models, many times, at scale. A critical part of value we deliver for clients is letting them leverage complex data generated by the models for better analytics. This involves designing and building solutions to how we visualise information, both geospatially and temporally.
Areas for impact
- You will ensure synergies exist between our different projects and promote standardised engineering practices and principles.
- You will ensure that cross-project technical decisions are made that ease the path to simultaneously delivering on multiple customer projects.
- You will help to grow and mentor a team of front-end and full stack engineers helping to develop and share knowledge within the team.
- You will be a hands-on individual contributor for ~30% of your time, working directly on our customer projects.
- You will be user and customer focused in your thinking, making decisions on this basis.
- You will support the Engineering Manager in their role, deputising as needed.
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following:
- Extensive experience engineering complex Single Page Web Applications with a modern framework (React, Vue, Angular etc.)
- A minimum of 10 years experience in a software engineering role
- Experience working on user focused software projects with external customers in a B2B environment.
- Experience leading technical teams on complex projects or productsExperience working on some back-end systems
- Experience or an interest in becoming a line manager as opportunities will likely present themselves as our business continues to grow.
- A background in Computer Science is a plus, but is not mandatory
- Typescript, React, Redux, GoLang are a plus
Find out more in our detailed briefing pack here
Please note due to the nature of this role you will be expected to meet requirements associated with obtaining UK security vetting clearance
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.