Lead Environment Artist
12 days ago
SkyBox Labs is a game development studio that works on some of the world’s most iconic games. Our projects include working as a co-developer on Halo Infinite, projects in the Minecraft Universe, supporting the development of Magic: The Gathering Arena, and more. As one of Vancouver’s fastest-growing game studios, since our inception in 2011, SkyBox Labs has evolved from a group of 8 people developing independent projects to a team of over 200+ engineers, artists, designers, producers, and more.
We are looking for an experienced Lead Environment Artist to join an exciting new IP project at SkyBox Labs! As an contributing and valued team member, you will develop high quality assets and world layouts and collaborate with designers and the creative team, in order to deliver new content. You will make a key impact on creation of a game and have your voice heard in the early stages of a new game!
- Work with existing in-game and in-library assets and create new high quality 3D environment assets
- Work with artists and designers to create an immersive and compelling world and environment
- Collaborate with designers to improve world layouts
- Optimize assets to ensure performance goals are met
- Provide mentorship to team members as the team grows
- Recommend new techniques, tools and workflows to improve quality and efficiency
- At least 5 years’ + experience in game development as a Senior Artist creating high quality environment assets for games
- Proven leadership experience, with ability to receive and deliver effective feedback
- Experience working on AAA titles and PC/console games is a preferred
- Experience working on world layouts, hard surfaces and props
- Proficient in Maya, Photoshop and ZBrush. 3Ds Max is a plus.
- Optimization experience
- Solid technical skills with knowledge of game engines and how to export assets
- Ability to work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
***A portfolio and/or reel demonstrating relevant art skills is required in order to be considered for this position.
A Culture of Empowerment, Collaboration and Personal Growth
Our studio’s success can be attributed to our culture of empowerment, collaboration and personal growth.
At SkyBox Labs, you can contribute to industry-leading titles, from legendary AAA franchises to independent IP, without compromising on culture. As a rapidly growing independent company, we maintain a ‘small studio’ feel with our flat structure, leading with authenticity, and fostering connection.
We relentlessly support your growth and development. From team building through personal interest groups and clubs to studio-wide knowledge sharing through learning lunches, and more formalized programs like SkyBox U, we support our team every step of the way.
One major thing that we’re proud of is that we’ve been able to grow to the studio that we are today while ultimately cultivating an environment of trust and mutual respect where you can thrive. We value our team members’ diverse backgrounds, hobbies, skills, and interests and we celebrate them! This is demonstrated through our broad spectrum of social clubs: Join our soccer team, fitness group, or one of our many D&D groups - you can even start your own!
Work During COVID-19
In order to keep our employees, candidates and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, the majority of our teams are working from home within Canada, with plans to a return in a hybrid capacity later in 2022. All interviewing, onboarding, and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
SkyBox Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Although we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.