This job might no longer be available.
Lead Environment Artist
23 days ago
Lead a small team of 3d artists, create benchmark assets, and maintain best-practices to keep the team organized. Work closely with Directors, Tech Artists, and Designers to achieve both art style and gameplay goals across the game worlds
If you're interested in collaborating with a kind, diverse and extraordinarily talented crew of people and working on the types of projects you dreamt of as a kid, please reach out to us.
- Take holistic ownership of the game levels from models/materials, to terrain and foliage, to lighting and post-processing
- Work with directors to carry forward our established vision and style throughout all aspects of the game
- Work with design and tech art to achieve excellent visual and compositional results using our proprietary procedural tools
- Create final high quality models and materials to establish visual targets
- Mentor other artists and teach 3d techniques when needed
- Consult on and share expertise on cross-discipline topics like asset management/pipeline, collision, rendering and performance
- Expert in Maya (and/or Blender) including modeling, lighting and texturing tools
- Expert in Unreal Engine (or comparable experience level in another engine)
- Proficient with Zbrush, Substance or other industry standard packages for material authoring
- Strong understanding of current-gen techniques for creating terrain, foliage, architecture, vista assets, and skyboxes
What will set you apart:
- Experience with procedural building techniques and best-practices
- Ability to break down tasks with accurate time estimates, from high-level components to smaller tasks, and allocate resources appropriately
- Able to interpret concepts, bring in additional reference, and take full ownership of 3d assets
- At least 1 shipped title
- Prior experience leading and mentoring other artists
Everything sound exciting so far? Then apply now with your resume! Please include relevant work samples and/ or a link to your portfolio.
Compensation & Benefits
💲 Salary: In the United States, the standard base pay range for this role we have estimated is $90,000.00 - $140,000.00 Annual. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. Actual amounts will vary depending on experience, performance and location. In addition to base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
- Competitive pay through bonus structures
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Flex PTO policy and 10 Federal holidays annually
- Paid parental leave
🌐 Location Flexibility: Work remotely or from the studio or Hybrid
⏲️ Full Time with Flexible Hours: Most staff maintain hours around 9a-6p PST. So long as you get the work done and are there for the meetings you are needed in, we trust you to manage your own time however makes sense to you.
Heart Machine is a close-knit team with our studio located in Los Angeles and talented team members all across the globe.
Although we are all passionate and work incredibly hard, our studio is not a crunch-factory - we like to live our lives, have holidays, and remain healthy throughout a project.
We are committed to creating an inclusive environment where all voices are heard and respected, and folks from underrepresented groups have a place to share their passion and creativity. We believe welcoming different life perspectives is crucial to building better games, scaling our studio sustainably, and improving our understanding of one another.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.