7 days ago
WHAT MAKES US EPIC?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
ENGINEERING AT EPIC
WHAT WE DO
Driving the plug-in power behind Unreal Engine 4. We bridge connections for licensees and our own internal game teams to online services. This allows games like Fortnite to utilize a combination of platform online services as well as Epic’s own online services to build cross-platform online features. Login, parties, voice chat, matchmaking, purchasing, cloud storage, and analytics are just a few examples of online features that our Online Game Services team helps games utilize.
LIKE WHAT YOU HEAR? YOU CAN BE EPIC.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
We are seeking a Lead Backend Engineer to join our team.
As a member of our team, you will craft highly available, high throughput, low latency services at scale. You will work with both synchronous and asynchronous services, persistent connection services, and a variety of other systems. These will all help to power our internal products as well as help Epic scale the amount of products we can launch on our store.
You’ll be building tools and services for publishing workflows for game developers, services to support EGStore and crossplay features, scalability and performance initiatives, and core internal services like shared libraries and frameworks.
In this role you will:
- Team Management - working in the trenches with a team of senior level engineers, understanding their strengths and opportunities for growth, and surfacing opportunities for development
- Lead team in creating and operating online systems and solutions spanning backend services, Web app and SDKs
- Own technical design and drive implementation of robust, highly scalable online solutions
- Definition, delivery and ongoing improvement of SLAs for online services environment - system health and monitoring, reporting and response, on call resolution
- Partner with stakeholders to establish clear priorities and defining expectations which translate to scope of work team can effectively deliver on
- Ongoing, transparent communication with a focus on expectations fostering trust with internal stakeholders and external partners
If these challenges sound exciting, we would love to talk.
What we're looking for :
- 8+ years experience solving impactful technical challenges; we look for people who can assess a challenge, craft a scalable architecture, and run with implementation
- Demonstrated experience driving initiatives and collaborating with cross-functional teams
- Proven experience building and leading technical teams
- Distributed systems programming experience (we use Java, Kotlin, Scala)
- Experience managing cloud services at scale (we use AWS)
- Service ownership experience; the ability to run, troubleshoot, and deploy your own services (we use Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform)
- Experience with SQL and nonrelational datastores (we use Mongo, Postgres, Dynamo, Redis)
- Operating systems experience (we use Linux/Unix) required
- Experience with Websockets or other server push models, experience with content delivery networks (Akamai, CloudFront) a plus
- You’re user-focused, passionate, scrappy, solutions-focused, and innovative. These traits equal success at Epic and influence everything we do
Epic Job + Epic Benefits = Epic Life
Our intent is to cover all things that are medically necessary and improve the quality of life. We pay for 100% of the premiums for both you and your dependents. We offer coverage for Medical, Dental, Vision HRA, Long Term Disability, AD&D and Life Insurance, 401k, and profit-sharing.
All Epic employees can enjoy drinks, snacks, and lunches every day, free of charge in studios - and we offer plenty of annual celebrations for employees and family members to show the love for our people. Additionally, each year, we celebrate the Epic family with company-wide paid breaks, generous paid time off, and recognize individuals for 7 years of employment with a paid sabbatical - we think our people are pretty awesome!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Epic Games spans across 12 countries with 32 studios and 3,000+ employees globally. For over 25 years, we’ve been making award-winning games and engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that bring environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.