This job might no longer be available.
Lead Engine Programmer [Unannounced Project] (156)
Royal Leamington Spa England gb
2 days ago
The Lead Engine Programmer will be responsible for leading the engineering team within a collaborative multi-discipline environment, defining and tracking the schedule for his team, managing and mentoring individuals within the engineering team, and being an evangelist for the project.
- Mentor, manage and regularly review individuals to build a cohesive and effective team;
- Work with production, engineers, design and art team leads to create task estimates and schedules for the engineering team and track development efforts across the team;
- Determine the technical needs and requirements for the team;
- Liaise with internal and external middleware technology providers, and console manufacturers;
- Balance active code development with the management requirements and responsibilities of a discipline lead;
- Ensure the delivery of practical and timely solutions by the engineering team that meets the game design and technical requirements;
- Ensure code is modular, self-contained, and defensive and observes the technical constraints on the system by leading regular technical design and code reviews;
- Define good programming practices and coding standards, and ensure they are enforced within the engineering team through regular peer code reviews;
- Ensure the creation of technical documentation for the engineering team as well as other disciplines, and assist in the creation of submission materials as required;
- Continually review the game and development processes to identify potential improvements;
- An advocate and ambassador for technology sharing across projects;
- Supporting the Producer in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
Skills and Knowledge
- Passionate about playing and making games, and has a good knowledge of the games industry in general;
- Excellent C/C++ programming skills, with excellent knowledge of object oriented development;
- Familiarity with common scheduling, task and issue tracking tools – MS Project, Jira, etc;
- Able to create, manage and track schedules for a team of engineers;
- Self-motivated and pro-active with a strong work ethic;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent knowledge of common algorithms, data structures and patterns, and the ability to apply them to problems while keeping constraints and performance in mind;
- Knowledge of most areas of game development (physics, AI, gameplay, rendering, online, tools, UI, audio) with expertise in at least 1 area;
- Proven ability to analyse unfamiliar code of a significant complexity to understand and extend the functionality of an existing module;
- In-depth knowledge of different software development methods such as Test Driven Development, Unit Testing, Agile, etc;
- Proven ability to debug defects of a significant complexity, including memory related issues, multi-threading, and assembly level debugging.
- Experience with commonly used development tools such as Visual Studio and Perforce;
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject or equivalent industry experience;
- 6 years of commercial software development experience with significant involvement in 2 published games, with at least 1 project at senior level.
Benefits & Relocation
Flexible working, 22 days annual leave + Christmas shutdown, private healthcare (with option to add immediate family), life insurance & income protection, workplace pension scheme, paid volunteering days, annual fitness & well-being allowance, games, technology & merchandise, subsidised travel and many more...
Relocation assistance is available to anyone currently living 50 miles or more from the studio location. Please contact a member of the talent acquisition team to find out what we have to offer and how we can support with your move here... relocation really doesn't have to be a daunting prospect.
Find out more about Ubisoft Leamington: https://reflections.ubisoft.com/about/ubisoft-leamington/
Ubisoft Reflections & Ubisoft Leamington is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Ubisoft Leamington has been a member of the Ubisoft family since January 2017 and has collaborated on Tom Clancy’s The Division & The Division 2, Far Cry 5 and Starlink: Battle For Atlas. Currently comprised of a 70-strong team, the studio is a solid and experienced group supported by a mix of veteran developers and promising young talent. Based in Royal Leamington Spa, Ubisoft Leamington is at the heart of a thriving destination for UK game developers.